+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Forgot how much newborns sleep

DS was born on Monday and he sleeps a lot! I know newborns do this, but last night he woke at 9:30 and wouldn't go back to sleep till about 2am and then only because I brought him into bed with me. I don't know if it's because my milk came in today and he was waiting for it or if it wàs because he slept too much yesterday?

Today he's slept a lot. For instance he slept from about 8:30am till 10:30 and then from 11am till now (he's still asleep and it's 2:30pm) do I wake him for a feed? Or leave him?

His last feed was EBM as my nipples are so darn sore and he had about 12ml.

I'm worried if I leave him to sleep too long now e won't sleep again tonight?

Midwife is coming this Arvo but just thought I'd get some opinions

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always lived by the rule of 'never wake a sleeping baby'.
    Yes newborns sleep alot. My DS came home at 2 days old and would sleep for about 18 hours out of the day.
    Generally speaking, newborns should only be awake for about an hour at a time.
    DS would sleep for usually 2 hours at a time (sometimes 3) with about an hour (maybe an hour and a half) in between.

If you are concerned, by all means speak to the midwife but it sounds normal to me.
    From 2 days old my DS would sleep from about 8am to 10am then 1130-12noon to 2-3 pm then 4pm-about 5. The he'd have a longer awake time, til about 730pm. He'd sleep til about 2am (i would dream feed at about 10pm) then he'd wake about 7am.
    Yes i know i was lucky.
    No, if hes sleeps all day, he will usually sleep better at night...overtiredness is a killer.
    How big was your bub born? My DS was just under 10lb so was big and therefore had a bigger tummy so could take more milk in at one time...thats helps with sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is only new so I would just let him sleep, as long as he isn't jaundice or underweight, has lots of wet nappies and is otherwise content, just let him set his own feed times. Congrats again, enjoy the sleepy moments and get some rest yourself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

mmy2b  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Dd was like that and still at 16 days old she sleeps quite a lot. I never wake her unless I'm desperate for her to feed ( when my boobs become super engorged).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks he ended up waking up on his own so I've fed him and he's still awake now.

It's prob been about 40 mins since he woke so will get him down for another sleep soon.

Hope he sleeps ok tonight

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 week old has her days and nights mixed up - sleeps for long periods during the day and max 2 hours at a time during the night. It's exhausting as I often don't get to nap during the day with a 21 month old running around too. Have managed to get their day sleeps at the same time once or twice which helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let him sleep - He might just have his days and nights mixed at the moment, not fun for you - but I'm sure it'll settle soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't let a bub go for more than 3 hours without a feed during the day. I also tried to give them a bit of sunshine during the day to help them get used to the day/night difference.

Great news that you milk has come in. Pay close attention to baby's attachment, and take him off if he starts to slip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was a sleeping machine too. Couldn't stay awake more than 45mins-1hr until he was about 10 weeks old. I'd let him go 5 hours at night and 4 in the day. He put on loads of weight during this time too.
    About 5 months he decided sleep was optional. Enjoy it whilst it lasts