+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dropping bottles

My DD is 11 months old and is currently having 4 bottles of formula per day of 120ml each. Her day looks like this -

6/6.30 - Bottle
    7 - Breakfast
    9 - Sleep
    10.30 - Bottle
    11.30/12 - Lunch
    1 - Sleep
    3 - Bottle
    4 - Afternoon tea
    5 - Dinner
    6 - Bottle, Bed

She doesn't have her bottle in bed, I always feed her then we do stories and bed. So my question is, can we start dropping feeds yet? If so, which one do I do first and is it just a matter of replacing it with food? Also, when should I drop the last bottle before bed? I know a lot of children use it for comfort still but I'm curious to know when a child will actually not need it for food anymore. Currently she will still finish the full bottle despite me giving her heaps to eat at dinner.

Any advice would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know, my DD has always let us know when she wants to drop bottles by just refusing them! We dropped the mid afternoon one, so she now has one when she wakes up, one after lunch and one before bed. We found that if she had the mid afternoon one she would refuse her bedtime one. I prefer her to have the bedtime one so she doesn't wake hungry in the night. I guess you could try dropping the 3pm one and replacing it with afternoon tea?
    Edit - sorry just saw you already had afternoon tea at 4, maybe bring that earlier to 3pm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    I don't know, my DD has always let us know when she wants to drop bottles by just refusing them! We dropped the mid afternoon one, so she now has one when she wakes up, one after lunch and one before bed. We found that if she had the mid afternoon one she would refuse her bedtime one. I prefer her to have the bedtime one so she doesn't wake hungry in the night. I guess you could try dropping the 3pm one and replacing it with afternoon tea?
    Edit - sorry just saw you already had afternoon tea at 4, maybe bring that earlier to 3pm?
    Thanks for the reply. She seems the most hungry in the afternoon so I wasn't sure about dropping that one. She eats a lot if food as it is which is why I'm worried about dropping bottles as I'm not sure what else I can feed her haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would introduce more water in a sippy cup to replace the bottlr

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she's eating well, she doesn't need formula after 12 mths. I'd definitely start dropping bottles. My DD was only on three bottles by 10 mths. We dropped the lunch one first, then morning and night. Her last bottle was the day before she turned 1. She was a great eater, so didn't miss bottles at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is turning 1 next week. He has 3 x 200ml bottles.

One before each sleep (2 x day sleeps, 1 x night)

When he drops a day sleep that bottle will be dropped.

Will keep giving him bottles till up to 2 same as we did for DD2.
    For me i dont care if theyre having it for comfort, i dont feel like i need to deny them of that comfort before bed when they then sleep all night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. The day I posted this I actually decided to just try it. I dropped the mid morning bottle so now she has a bottle after breakfast, one in the afternoon and one before bed. She only has 120ml. She turned 1 yesterday and is a fabulous eater so I'm thinking I will drop the afternoon one soon and then the after breakfast one. I'm the same RmumR, if she has that before bed for comfort and sleeps all night then I'm not willing to part with it yet.