+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaxo View Post
    I birthed at the Mater, and am having this baby at the mater again. It's the best hospital in the state, when it comes to if you need help with bub after birth, being that it has the kids hospital next door. I didn't know you could choose between either - I thought it was catchment only? If you do have the choice though, hands down would pick mater over Ipswich. I have known a few women who have birthed there, without incident, but having visited there - mater is definitely nicer/cleaner feeling.
    While I agree with the Mater being well equipped, it has nothing to do with the kids hospital being next to Mothers - if your baby needs help it stays in the Mothers, just on a different floor.

Sorry, no experience with Ipswich.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (07-02-2014),RoseBetweenTheThorns  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had DS2 at the mater and they were really good!

Congratulations btw

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiplusthree For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did ask my doctor when she would refer me to the hospital, and she said at 12 or 13 weeks (I can't remember).

Maybe I should go back and push for her to refer me to get into the midwifery program?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
    Maybe I don't have a choice ... my doctor didn't say anything about it. When I google the Mater catchment my suburb is in there... but couldn't find the catchment for Ipswich. As for the midwifery program there, at what stage (weeks) should I enrol?

Thanks
    After seeing I was in Mater catchment I went to my GP as soon as I could and specifically told him I wanted Mater and I wanted to be in the midwifery program. I've heard that doctors sometimes just don't tell you all your options or sometimes they put down shared care, not because they're doing anything wrong but I guess sometimes it's easier. They can only take on so many people at a time so I would possibly try ASAP if that's what you were after.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
    I did ask my doctor when she would refer me to the hospital, and she said at 12 or 13 weeks (I can't remember).

Maybe I should go back and push for her to refer me to get into the midwifery program?

Thanks!
    My referred me to mater as soon as I got my bfp. They fill quickly . I would refer now for mgp

9. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. I have an appointment with a private FS Monday just for progesterone for the first trimester, and was hoping maybe he could refer me... saves me going to the GP again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaxo View Post
    If you want to get into the midwifery program, get in NOW! You basically have to get in at your first GP appt, get them to send your referral stating that you want to go through the group practice. I almost missed out with DD as we didn't send ours in until 9 weeks - and I missed out this time, because even though my GP sent it in at 5 weeks - she didn't ask and put me down for shared care, and I didn't realise until 15 weeks, at which point I missed out on a spot - Cannot recommend the MGP enough though, great continuity of care!
    Thanks for your advice! I got into the MGP program, yippee! One of things they mentioned though was home-birth (which I don't want to do) -- is it expected that you will do home-birth (provided no complications beforehand) if you use the MGP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with the mgp and have never heard mention of home birthing. I believe its just an expectation that all going well you go home 4-6 hrs after birth.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglepuss For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Phew! My husband and I are both relieved about that!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can't fault the mater!! I've had 2 kids there and spent 5 weeks on bed rest in there with my dd1!!