+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which public hospital to go with (Brisbane south)?

Hi guys,

I am 4 weeks pregnant and wondering whether I should have the baby at the Mater Mothers hospital, or Ipswich General hospital (I live about 20 minutes from one, and 25 from the other).

Any pro's/con's about these hospitals I should take into account? I was hoping that Ipswich would be quieter and roomier... but I have no idea.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really liked the Mater. I loved knowing it was so well equipped

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmakin For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am overdue with my first baby and going to the mater - the midwives have been fantastic so far! I am the same distance from mater to Ipswich to and the way we decided is that if there *touchwood* anything wrong with the baby the mater is DEFINATELY the place for it to be! Plus it's a brand new maternity ward too - but I can let u know in a couple of days! Ipswich some friends have had good experiences there some bad. If u have the choice I would be choosing the mater but that's me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smash023 For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent personally birthed at either hospital but ive heard the Mater is very good.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fluffykitty For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! Smash - hope it all goes well, and look forward to hearing about your experience. Yay for baby!
    Last edited by goshawk; 06-02-2014 at 07:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I birthed at the Mater, and am having this baby at the mater again. It's the best hospital in the state, when it comes to if you need help with bub after birth, being that it has the kids hospital next door. I didn't know you could choose between either - I thought it was catchment only? If you do have the choice though, hands down would pick mater over Ipswich. I have known a few women who have birthed there, without incident, but having visited there - mater is definitely nicer/cleaner feeling.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellaxo For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you get a choice ? Chances are you are in a catchment area and may not get a choice

12. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I am in catchment for Mater and Ipswich. I haven't birthed in either but I have a close friend who went through Ipswich and had an awful experience. I'm currently in the midwife program at Mater and couldn't be happier. Everyone's experiences are different though, good luck with your choice!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (07-02-2014),goshawk  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    I am in catchment for Mater and Ipswich. I haven't birthed in either but I have a close friend who went through Ipswich and had an awful experience. I'm currently in the midwife program at Mater and couldn't be happier. Everyone's experiences are different though, good luck with your choice!
    Maybe I don't have a choice ... my doctor didn't say anything about it. When I google the Mater catchment my suburb is in there... but couldn't find the catchment for Ipswich. As for the midwifery program there, at what stage (weeks) should I enrol?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to get into the midwifery program, get in NOW! You basically have to get in at your first GP appt, get them to send your referral stating that you want to go through the group practice. I almost missed out with DD as we didn't send ours in until 9 weeks - and I missed out this time, because even though my GP sent it in at 5 weeks - she didn't ask and put me down for shared care, and I didn't realise until 15 weeks, at which point I missed out on a spot - Cannot recommend the MGP enough though, great continuity of care!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellaxo For This Useful Post:

goshawk  (07-02-2014)