+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation *Possible Trigger* Blind cord safety

I just saw this http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226818051577

A TODDLER has died after she was found choking on a blind cord at her Quakers Hill home.

The latest incident comes just days after 16-month-old Tabitha Slade died in hospital after she became tangled in a blind cord in her bed at her Hornsby home.

Last year 18-month-old Jack Mackay died after a venetian blind cord became tangled around his neck, while he was playing in his cot at his Port Stephens home on the state's mid-north coast.

When we moved into our current rental this year the looped blind cords weren't fixed and were hanging low, just off the ground. I thought it was now a legal requirement but the RE agent said a lot of new houses have cords that aren't fixed or secured.

If you live in VIC you can get a free blind cord kit here: http://multimedia.consumer.vic.gov.a...d-safety-kits/

I think there's 5 in the kit, and I ordered extras from ebay (can't remember how much but they were very cheap).

If you live in Tassie you can order a free kit here: http://www.consumer.tas.gov.au/produ...ty/blind_cords
    Last edited by sky1; 05-02-2014 at 12:15.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (05-02-2014),EvilWombatQueen  (17-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (18-10-2014),Okjook  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All these deaths occurred in the cot. When will people learn to move cots away from blinds?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (05-02-2014),SoThisIsLove  (05-02-2014),VicPark  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for the link, while we don't have the cot near the blinds dd has started climbing onto the back of the couch into the window despite me pulling her down and I've been meaning to look out for something to secure the cords.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are many safety issues with babies and young toddlers, and this one always gives me the shudders. We are moving into a new rental house next week, and that is one of my current stressors...keeping both cots well away from the blind cords!!
    We have these brand new blinds (blockout and privacy), but they are perfect height for a hang-noose.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app9k

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our blinds are so dangerous sometimes when I'm walking past the one in the loungeroom my arm gets caught and both the dog and cat have got their heads caught in it before so can definitely see how dangerous they are! Thanks for the link will definitely get those free attachments!

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    All these deaths occurred in the cot. When will people learn to move cots away from blinds?
    Exactly. On top of that a cot shouldnt be anywhere near any sort of wall fixture or window, cupboards or drawers.
    When will people learn

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHoward For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a near miss myself. My dd had never rolled or moved in her cot and I had it near the window but the cords weren't very visable and I *thought* they weren't too close.
    The day she started crawling she honestly went from 0 to 100. I never ever had to worry about her and now she was in to absolutely everything. It was a fast learning curve what was baby proof or not!
    I found her after her nap (I had a sound monitor and I didn't hear her at all, usually she makes some kind of noise so I knew she was awake) sitting up in the corner of the cot playing with the cords, one had gotten wrapped around her arm.

Needless to say I was mortified and relieved. The cot got pushed so far away after that. :/ scary.

My heart breaks for these people.

I wonder if there is a similar scheme for other states?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 05-02-2014 at 09:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've also had a near miss with my youngest dd. We were moving house and cleaning the empty house...I was in the kitchen and dd was 16months old and was playing on the dining room floor right next to me. Next thing I look at her and she is sitting there with the vertical blind cord (the one with the weight) under her neck and choking her...it happened so quickly and quietly. Very scary.
    We are in a new house now and there are large warning tags on all the blind cords and safety things to wrap the loose cord around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In Vic it is the landlords responsibility as far as I'm aware when you are renting to get someone to fix the length of chains. Ours were down to the floor and we sent the agent the legislation and they organised someone to do it at the landlords expense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope the message really starts to get out there - clearly many people aren't aware of the dangers