+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default New meningococcal B vaccine but you will have to pay

I heard tonight that Australia has approved the new meningococcal B vaccine but won't be listing it on the national immunisation schedule.

I tried to google more information and there isn't much out there. Apparently it will cost $140 for the shot. I did find a petition on the meningitis Australia page. If you agree this should be added to the NIS you can sign the petition here:

http://www.meningitis.com.au/brochur...etition.phtml#

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

Caroline47  (07-10-2014),Gentoo  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow, do you have any links? I'd love to share it!

Last I heard it was almost approved in Europe... I thought we were ages behind?

ETA - apart from the one you shared obviously haha. I couldn't find any more info anywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From a UK website I looked at, it appears that babies will need between 3 and 4 doses to have full immunity. At $140 a pop, that's pricey. But given that around 90% of meningococcal cases in WA are from type B, and given how horrible the consequences are, I'm going to ask our doctor about it. I really hope this becomes part of the NIS asap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry ladies I can't find much else either. The information I was given was from a mummies facebook page and apparently the info they sourced was on last nights channel 9 news bulletin.

Another mum did comment that if you have private health you could claim it under pharmaceuticals. But yeah, seems absolutely ridiculous that it isn't added to the NIS and covered. I will definitely be watching to see what happens and if the government doesn't make a move on it, I think I will l get my 4 year old immunized. My other concern is that it's relatively new and I wonder how safe and well tested it is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/ne...der-tga-review

It seems it is under review by the TGA, I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't go on the schedule.

Eta actually I could be wrong, just read this document form the UK on the subject of why it has not been included in their schedule-

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...on_for_web.pdf
    Last edited by Atropos; 05-02-2014 at 09:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Signing a petition won't get the vaccine into the NIP (national immunisation program). There are so many different processes and approvals for any vaccine to be a part of the NIP. Approval by the pharmaceutical benefits advisory committee (PBAC), the Australian technical advisory group on immunisation (atagi) & then there needs to be a tender for the procurement of the vaccine to supply the NIP.

So your looking at roughly 18 months plus for this to happen if the approvals happen after the first submissions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lennie For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
    Signing a petition won't get the vaccine into the NIP (national immunisation program). There are so many different processes and approvals for any vaccine to be a part of the NIP. Approval by the pharmaceutical benefits advisory committee (PBAC), the Australian technical advisory group on immunisation (atagi) & then there needs to be a tender for the procurement of the vaccine to supply the NIP.

So your looking at roughly 18 months plus for this to happen if the approvals happen after the first submissions.
    I agree a petition won't be the thing that gets it on the schedule but it certainly doesn't hurt to have public support for it

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (05-02-2014),beebs  (05-02-2014),Caroline47  (07-10-2014),Lennie  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I agree a petition won't be the thing that gets it on the schedule but it certainly doesn't hurt to have public support for it
    I agree, always worth a shot. Especially since it could save many innocent lives.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-02-2014),beebs  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's called Bexsero, and there's a bit of info if you Google it directly. The GP we saw this morning hadn't heard about it yet (she has now!) and we've now got a script for it. Haven't been to the chemist yet, so haven't confirmed the price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    It's called Bexsero, and there's a bit of info if you Google it directly. The GP we saw this morning hadn't heard about it yet (she has now!) and we've now got a script for it. Haven't been to the chemist yet, so haven't confirmed the price.
    Please let us know:
    How much?
    How many shots?
    What age?
    When will a booster be due?
    If you know the answers Tia