+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 year old hunger?

Ds seems to have an empty pit of a stomach! Lol.

He is unable to regulate his hunger & will eat until sick if I let him. And I hear " I'm hungry " more times than I can count each day. He is medically and physically well in the average weight range and very active.

During a day he eats... (this changes obviously but still the same portion amounts)

Cereal, fruit & cup of almond milk.
    2 or 3 pieces of toast.
    3 mangoes. 10 fresh dates
    Rissotto with lots of veggies or leftovers.
    An apple, handful almonds or peanuts or roasted chickpeas.
    Some crackers and peanut butter.
    Bowl of custard.
    2 large helpings of dinner (which is usually roast veggies/felafels/lentil pie/spaghetti etc)
    + another cup of almond milk, couple cups of diluted juice and lots of water.

And this is with me restricting his intake. Is this an average amount for a 5 year old to eat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It does seems like an awful lot but in saying that growing children are big eaters. If he has no health issues then I wouldn't be too concerned.
    My 6 year old daughter is much the same, we always put it down to her being a diabetic but turns out it's just her fast metabolism. No idea where it goes because she is as skinny as a rake.

As for the 'I'm hungry' all the time I think that's something all kids do. If my girls are out and about they don't ask but the days we are at home it's all I hear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are u guys vegetarian? There was no mention of meat or eggs? Some hard boiled eggs during the day or for brekkie plus some yoghurt mid morning, plus a lean protein for lunch and dinner may help.
    If my daughter has eaten heaps and is still hungry she gets offered chopped raw veggies sometimes with some hummus if we have it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear his not alone in his constant eating! lol. It could possibly be a growth spurt however he usually does still eat a fair amount...

Sandra- Yes, we're vegan however his definitely not deficient in protein considering the amount of vegetables, nuts, seeds, tahini, legumes and beans he consumes .