+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do I say I don't want visitors straight after CS?

Hi Everyone,

This is a bit of a spinoff from the last thread, about visitors rules.

I am due to have our 2nd in a month or so and have booked in for a Csection due to issues from my last pregnancy. I will be going under general as well.
    My OBGYN advised that it should happen early in the morning depending on emergencies, other labours etc but can't guarantee it.

We have let the date slip to a few people so it is no longer a secret. I want to tell my MIL that I don't want visitors until at least the next day meaning my In-laws and friends because I know how horrible you feel after a general and a c section plus I want my son and my husband to be the first ones to meet the baby and for us to have some family time with the new baby before anyone else gets to meet them.

My mum or one of my sisters will probably have my son on the day and I really don't mind if they come to the hospital straight away because I know if they come up it will more about making sure we are ok -rather than having a chance to gossip and taking photos to send out to everyone. (Bit of background - my mother in law announced my pregnancy to my husbands family before my husband had a chance to). She is a gossip queen.

Plus my family has helped out so much during this pregnancy and offered me so much support. I am lucky to hear from my inlaws once every few weeks.

Am I being unreasonable? and how should I tell them?

Any advice??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Depending on the hospital you're at, don't tell them what ward you'll be going to when you've had baby. If you're being prepped on the ward prior to your Caesar, tell the midwives that you don't want any visitors when you're first back from the op. Can you perhaps tell your in laws that you don't want any visitors until the day after, or at least until the evening? I know when I've had a GA I feel so crappy for about 12hrs after - groggy, nauseated etc and the last thing I want is visitors. Explain that to them and hopefully they'll understand. Explain that the only exception is your folks and that's simply because they will have your son and will be bringing him up to the hospital to meet the new bub.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would just be honest. Say u will be tired and sore and want a couple of days just to yourselves as a little family. Tell people you will be welcoming visitors when u are settled at home. I would totally understand if someone said that to me! Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not unreasonable. Just say no visitors until you feel ready. The hospital ward shouldn't let anyone in if you say to them that you don't want visitors (maybe just tell them the names of people you don't want there?)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar situation and I was vague about the c-section time - I knew it was going to be in the morning but I said it was sometime in the afternoon. Then I didn't let DH let anyone know until that night so it was too late for visitors....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RaaRaaMumma For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tell them the date has been changed to like three days after the actual date!
    Then you can surprise them the day after you've had your car section

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014),Bubbles10  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Tell them that after your last experience, you know what to expect this time around as far as your recovery goes and that you need to do things differently.

Advise them that your DH will give them a call as soon as you are ready to have visitors.

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. It's situations like this where the mother's wishes need to be respected.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be honest and saying you are having a c/s under a GA which means you will be in recovery for a few hours so won't be up for visitors until the following day. You can notify the MW and nurses that you don't want any visitors until the following day.
    I would also be inclined to have it as no visitors at all including your family. There may be a family history but allowing one side and not the other could cause more issues which is the last thing you need after a baby.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think honesty will work best for you, that and having hubby on board with what you want aswell.

Its perfectly acceptable what your asking

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just tell them you don't want visitors until the next day. That's what we did and everyone was fine with it

19. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkbandicoot For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (04-02-2014)