+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am not immune to chicken pox even though I have had it 7 times. It is awful. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It is truly horrible. My children will always be immunised against it.
    As for saying measles isn't that bad. Check your facts!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Caroline47  (07-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD got the CP vax.
    I had chicken pox as a teenager & it was truly horrible. I was so miserable & still have a few scars from the worst of it. My siblings all caught it from me & they were all ill for weeks. I helped look after them & after seeing how much they suffered I would do anything to try to prevent DD from getting it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a PP has said, its about protecting everyone. I have a relative who was in hospital for weeks with complications due to chicken pox. She caught them from her 4yo.

To the poster who said it is mild... Careful. There is a poster on the hub who lost a child relative to chicken pox in the UK before the vax came out. It can be a very serious virus.

To me it's an easy decision. The risks of a serious reaction to a vaccine are low, the risks of disease are high. It's a no brainer for me when it comes to my children.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why wouldn't you??? Geez it's so easy to protect them for such a miserable 2-3 weeks of serious illness and potential for more serious. Why risk it? Why not get it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Caroline47  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I find the whole concept of chicken pox vax silly really. When i was a child and one of my friends had chicken pox we were encouraged to play with them so hopefully we would get it. Yes it can be dangerous in adults but in children its usually mild. So TBH, if one of my kids friends has it ill probably try and get them to get in while they are young. That and measles and mumps.
    Call me a bad mother if you want but i really think its better for kids to get these illnesses when they are young...obviously not whopping cough etc. Just the mild ones.
    Ok bad mother.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (07-10-2014),Wise Enough  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I get where you are coming from - when I first heard that there is a chickenpox vax I thought it was really OTT and unneccesary. I thought it to be a mild childhood illness, we all had chicken pox as a kid, and it is just a part of being a kid. I was really surprised when I learned that chicken pox can have quite nasty complications, especially if caught when older. I didn't realise that kids can become seriously ill, hospitalised, and die because of chicken pox. I was completely uninformed. I have done my research and definitely did vaccinate my kids for chicken pox as per the schedule.
    As to the PP who said they would deliberately expose their child to chicken pox, mumps, and measles when they are young, I’m sorry to be blunt, but I find that really negligent. Please do not ever purposely expose your child to measles, it is a serious illness and can cause brain damage and death. Please do some more research into these diseases and develop some understanding of the complications of these diseases. If you choose not to vaccinate, please be a responsible parent and do not purposely make your child, and other children, sick with diseases that can, and do, kill.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (04-02-2014),beebs  (04-02-2014),Caroline47  (07-10-2014),lilypily  (04-02-2014),littlelove  (07-10-2014),MissMuppet  (04-02-2014),Tainted  (04-02-2014),Tamtam  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have vaccinated against CP.

Why? I had CP as an adult at uni, in exam period. Not only was I extremely ill but I missed all my exams and had to repeat them, I was also employed casually so missed out on 2 weeks of paid work. Yeah I did not die and had no lasting effects but it was frankly a massive pain in the !ss.

You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox which is why kids who are vaccinated will never get shingles. Apparently it takes a generation but eventually shingles will become extremely rare. I have read that there is a spike in shingles when the CP vax first starts, I can't remember why, there is an article somewhere about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had CP as a kid and it was awful! I had them EVERYWHERE (and I mean everywhere...inside my mouth, ears, nose everywhere you can imagine) and I had 8 weeks off school so it might be mild for some but it's worse for others.

Even if your kid gets a mild dost, will they infect someone and they get it worse? If you are a pro vaxxer I can't understand why you wouldn't. Why make someone sick when they don't need to be...that's my opinion anyway.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wally90 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-02-2014),Caroline47  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I find the whole concept of chicken pox vax silly really. When i was a child and one of my friends had chicken pox we were encouraged to play with them so hopefully we would get it. Yes it can be dangerous in adults but in children its usually mild. So TBH, if one of my kids friends has it ill probably try and get them to get in while they are young. That and measles and mumps.
    Call me a bad mother if you want but i really think its better for kids to get these illnesses when they are young...obviously not whopping cough etc. Just the mild ones.
    My sister did exactly this. She heard about other kids in the village that had it and took her own around for a visit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about.