+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Sorry I am still stuck on measles being considered mild... kids can die from it. It can cause serious complications. A cold is mild. Measles is not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-02-2014),bini86  (04-02-2014),cheeeeesecake  (04-02-2014),Chippa  (04-02-2014),cluckcluck  (04-02-2014),DailyDiversion  (04-02-2014),LoveLivesHere  (04-02-2014),Tainted  (04-02-2014),Tamtam  (04-02-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ok first up, you only have to ensure your status is current with family assistance to ensure you get full benefits, you do not have to vaccinate to get them.

I have just started my boys on a slow as possible catch up schedule, yes we will be getting the varicella vaccination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is a reason this vaccine is on the schedule and provided free of charge.

It's just as much about protecting adults from infected kids as it is about protecting the children themselves. As pps have pointed out it can be devastating for adults. But even children can have serious complications from cp even if it is extremely rare so why risk it if there is a safe vaccine available? Also, it is an illness and it is horrible to go through it so why not prevent your kids from the same?

And having chicken pox as a child is no guarantee that you won't get it again as an adult. My mother caught it several times.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 04-02-2014 at 09:46.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

chickenfoot83  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can only get shingles as an adult if you have had chicken pox i wouldnt want after nursing patients with it. The pain in your nerves is soul destroying for some and you can have it for 2 yrs and require narcotics to control the pain along with anti depressants and various nerve medications no way would i want it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We vax to the schedule so gave our children the CP one at 18 months. I found it the easiest of the vaccinations with the least after effects.

Sure, when we were children CP was seen as just a part of childhood and no big deal but that's largely because our parents were ill informed and didn't know how serious it could be, and how some children suffered terrible complications or died. Now the information is out there about how dangerous it can be, and a vaccination is available I jumped at the chance to protect my kids.

Chicken pox used to be a part of childhood. It doesn't need to be anymore. I feel so lucky to have had children at a time when so many awful diseases are vaccine preventable.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-02-2014),Caroline47  (07-10-2014),Chippa  (04-02-2014),DailyDiversion  (04-02-2014),Gentoo  (04-02-2014),Purple Lily  (04-02-2014),Tainted  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    There is a reason this vaccine is on the schedule and provided free of charge.

It's just as much about protecting adults from infected kids as it is about protecting the children themselves. As pps have pointed out it can be devastating for adults. But even children can have serious complications from cp even if it is extremely rare so why risk it if there is a safe vaccine available? Also, it is an illness and it is horrible to go through it so why not prevent your kids from the same?

And having chicken pox as a child is no guarantee that you won't get it again as an adult. My mother caught it several times.
    I have just recently had the vaccine myself, all the kids in my street had it when I was a child but I never got it. I saw my sister have it in her 20s she was so so sick. Like any other vaccine I am not just protecting my children I am also doing it for the community. Imagine the effects on an elderly person, or what it does to a foetus if a pregnant woman catches it.
    Last edited by chickenfoot83; 04-02-2014 at 10:09.

mumbron is offline Actions speak louder than words!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I had chicken pox as a kid and I got shingles when I was an adult it's wasn't nice at all!! All my kids have been vaccinated against it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I would get it. Why have your children suffer through an illness that could be prevented?
    Nothing is worse than seeing your child be miserable and suffer.
    I didn't realize it can be so severe in adulthood. .. so for that reason alone yes I would. What if your child gave it to an adult? And they got seriously sick.
    It's not a mild childhood disease. I don't think getting the needle for it is 'silly'..clearly not silly when two posters here have said they know someone who died from it as an adult and another who ended up in organ failure.

Loislane... measles is not a mild disease either. Not only can this sufferer be completely miserable they can get brain damage, deafness. . lifelong issues that affect their health and development. Measles is very serious. And can affect the wider community. . pregnant women or the elderly too. Far from mild in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    well said, completely agree. I will simply never get my head around those who chose not to vax. Irresponsible parenting in my opinion.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (04-02-2014),bini86  (04-02-2014),Caroline47  (07-10-2014),littlelove  (07-10-2014),Tainted  (04-02-2014),Tamtam  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes - I don't see why you wouldn't get it if you are already a vaxxer? No makey sensiballs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    There is a shingles vax available now. I'm considering getting it, shingles sounds horrid.
    Really? I had no idea! Must go Google!

As for the OP, varicella is a vaxx that I most definitely get for my children and I am a delayed, selective vaxxer.

Now that I am no longer pregnant or breastfeeding, it is also a vaccine I will get for myself, never had CP myself, despite being exposed numerous times as a child (I may have naturally immunity, will discuss with my GP whether to get my immunity checked or just to vaccinate).