+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you or will you have rules for visitors after babies birth?

If so, what were your rules? Who did they apply to? Did people get their noses out of joint about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd1 the midwives let my dad, his wife and 2 young kids, grandmother and grandfather into the birth suite literally minutes after I gave birth, they hadn't even weighed dd1 or anything yet and I was there in just a shirt and sheet covering me. Nobody asked me first either. Then they were all at the hospital the whole time I was in there. Was not impressed.

Dd2 we requested no visitors except my mum and grandad and dh's mum plus dd2 until we said otherwise. Everyone was fine with that. We just messaged people when I was up for visitors.

Dd3 we told everyone except my mum who was looking after dd1 and dd2 that there was to be no visitors until further notice and anyone who turned up would be asked to leave immediately. My grandparents had their noses a bit out of joint but went along with it.

This time we will be doing the same- absolutely no visitors until we say so and anyone who does turn up will be asked to leave immediately. Frankly I don't care if people get their noses out of joint about it- it's not about them and they can and will get over it.

Me + he = dd1 (July 07), dd2 (July 10), dd3 (August 13), dd4 (due may 14)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We kept everything secret for 3 days, we didn't even tell anyone when I was in labour. It was blissful. But, we live away from family, so it was easy to not tell anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This time around I'm going to tell people to please only plan for a 1/2 hour visit as I will be too polite to ask them to leave of I get tired, need alone time, etc.

I hated the idea of visitors after DS (I'm a bit of a hermit) but was told people know not to stay too long. Um, no, some people don't. Even those who have had several kids of their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a planned C section, and told no one but our parents. We had Bub in the morning, and didn't tell anyone else until late that night. Asked parents not to visit the first day. After that we found everyone very respectful, no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't tell anyone I was in labour and I had a very long labour. It was great just having that time for ourselves - DH and I - and it meant there was no one there when I gave birth so we could spend some time just the 3 of us.
    Next time I'll do the same - we let people come and visit after we announced it but apart from one family people didn't overstay their welcome. I think now with dd I will appreciate visits to keep her occupied.
    Once home I was very clear that no one was to come if they were even thinking they could be sick and I made sure everyone washed their hands before touching her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, other than no attendance during labour & only immediate family on first day. I found the first 3 days the easiest so was glad we had so many visitors then (milk came in on day 4 = TEARS!).

Also found everyone to be very respectful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we will be telling people that we will call them to let them know when they can come over and not to bother showing up before then because they will be told to leave.

This time around I will also be sending out a message to tell people not to wear perfume while visiting. Seems a bit odd but my mil always shows up with the strongest most potent perfume on when she comes to visit a new baby. I have to bath bub to try and get the smell off and it still doesn't come off for days! irs horrible I want to smell my beautiful new baby not my mil!.... Ok rant over lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tazzy For This Useful Post:

Cantwaittobeamun  (04-02-2014)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope, no rules. I loved having visitors to show off my baby to. I wanted visitors in hospital because then I didn't have to be *hostess* but some people seem to prefer coming to the house. DH got to show off his tea making skills when people visited at home.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (04-02-2014),Wise Enough  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMum View Post
    No, other than no attendance during labour & only immediate family on first day.

Also found everyone to be very respectful.
    Yep this is what we did When Ds2 was born we asked that we be left alone for half of the first day so Ds1 could meet his brother. He was only two and I didnt want him being overwhelmed with other people in the room. It was his first time being away from me so I wanted that special moment to ourselves.
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 03-02-2014 at 22:54.