+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am about to go back from maternity leave from my second child and return to 8hr shifts 32hrs per fortnight. If I need extra I can put in for extra hours from as little as 4hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on the job and your financial situation I think.

I started off doing 3 days (22.5 hours) which I think was the best for me in terms of being at home with DD. I dont think I could so less than that.

However, I then went to four days (30 hours) and that's been the best balance for me in balancing work priorities and family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do 3x 7hr days during the week and every second weekend 5 hrs.

This suits my family the best tho it does cramp up my social life.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 x 8.5 hour shifts a week is perfect for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have my ideal

3 days (8.30-3)...paid 18 hours (30 minutes break)

School hours only.

I love my job...they are so flexible!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I work a 5 day fortnight, school hours, perfect

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work two days a week 8-3.30 (7 hrs) which is enough for me.

I like coming home to ds before the dinner time dramas as he always wants to play or interact with me for an hour or so when I first get home.

Plus the hours I work has me only paying a small amount of tax so I feel like it's actually worth me working those hours.

Sometimes I have to do overtime, like today which meant I had to cancel date night , and I find it exhausting. But then ds also doesn't sleep well at night. Plus my mum comes to our place to look after ds so the 8am start is ok becauee I only have to get me ready. Ds can be in pjs still and not have had breakfast as mum does that.

I do struggle to get my work done in the time I'm there so I am just waiting to be told I have to work more or not at all.

So I think you need to look at
    1. Your finances and what the minimum is you can afford to work.
    2. How you feel about leaving child to go to work. If you don't like leaving them any of the time then leaving them to work will likely be an adjustment for you.
    3. What your childcare options are, ie. Family on certain days, available days at a centre, cost of childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do 2 days (8 hour shifts) which is the perfect amount for me at the moment. Occasionally I pick up a third day, but I get oh so tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies everyone it's interesting to see what balance works what employers have offered others etc. I know it's all a balancing act, the bills have to be paid but I also have 2 young kids and a father with leukemia - and I know the more I earn the more I spend, but at the same time I want to feel I am pulling my weight contributing to the family income and take all the pressure off hubby. I'm thinking 3 days might be ideal - I did see a couple of jobs 2 or 3 days/week. 2 days sounds great but won't pay much. Guess I just have to land a job first and work out the rest as we go.

Thank you all again for your replies, it's a great insight into the working mothers rosters

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just applied for a school job 9 - 3pm, 3 days a week. Hoping I'll atleast get an interview, i think those hours would be manageable, especially to have the luxury of still being able to pick the kids up from school every day. Fingers crossed!