+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What animals are killed to make chocolate? Confused..

Think you need to support her

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-02-2014),BettyW  (03-02-2014),btmacxxx  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was vego for 16 yrs and didn't substitute meat product every meal ( I was lucky to do it a couple of meals a week) and I was healthy.
    I doubt you'd have much luck stopping her at that age anyway, you'll cause yourself more stress.
    I was just thinking last night I think I might go back to it. I really can live without it, can't live with veggies though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflowerbaby View Post
    Also, she says she will eat fish. Is a fish's life any less important than a cow?
    I think it's good that she'll eat fish. Is she willing to eat eggs and dairy products?

Please don't criticise her for valuing some animal's lives more than others. Every single meat eater I know (myself included!) are selective in which animal's they'll eat (eg. many believe that the life of a cow is less important than that of their pet dog).

I also feel like it's another hyprocritical lifestyle that people pick and choose what is convenient for them, while pretending to feel so holy and humanitarian.
    Many meat eaters pick and choose which animals they will eat as well (eg. I eat seafood but won't eat cat, dog or horse meat).

I'm actually yet to meet a meat-eater that doesn't have a moral objection to eating at least one type of animal for humanitarian-type reasons, such as whale or dolphin meat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went vegetarian at 14 my step dad was a chef and he simply said "if you won't eat meat, you need to eat x, y, z insted" and I did, I hated it but I did it, the whole family did until I learnt how to do it myself. I know heaps of healthy vegetarians! You can't force her to eat meat, you'll cause more harm then good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Teenage girls can go off the skids ...drinking, drugs, sex, lying, stealing. It is such a tenuous time pick your battles. A kid not wanting to eat meat ... Isn't that bad considering what else could happen.

Other posters have offered good advice about researching food types and having your daughter responsible for the majority of her own cooking.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-02-2014),LoveLivesHere  (03-02-2014),SuperGranny  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you don't let her, it will just make her want to do it more. I understand you feel that way about vegetarianism, but maybe she doesn't. I became a vego at 11, my mum felt the same way as you, but ultimately she knew if she pushed me not to I'd want to do it more. She made me be responsible for my own meals (which quickly inspired a passion for cooking and I started making meals for the family). She also made me do research into what was a healthy vego diet, legumes, tofu, veggies, grains, nuts etc.

When I was 20 I went back to eating meat and have been a meat eater ever since. I'd let her do it to be honest, make her read up on it though. She'll probably get over it pretty quickly to be honest, lots of my school friends became vego as teenagers, and got over it within a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your reaction is a bit out of left field IMO. I understand not wanting to make two dinners but if she's old enough to make this decision she's old enough to help with meal prep. No, you don't have to cook it for her, but as PPs have said, you can support her with minimal effort.

I teach middle schoolers and the suggestion that 13 year olds can't have their own sense of right and wrong is almost offensive. She definitely should have a choice as to what she puts into her body. Lots of girls in particular choose to go veggo (or partially) at this age because they are at a sensitive age and they are just starting to understand what's involved in meat production.

As for some of the other things you've said:
    Animals don't die for chocolate. Jelly, yes. Cheese, sometimes.
    Many people think that eating mammals is less ethical than eating fish or even birds.
    Having one sickly veggo friend in HS does not mean it's an unhealthy diet -- in fact many people find their health improves when they go vegetarian or vegan.
    (And no I'm not either so I have no vested interest in this - I just teach young girls and encourage them to think for themselves and don't like seeing this quashed. I fully agree with PPs though that she needs to do her research and even show you how she plans on ensuring she has a properly balanced diet.)
    Good luck OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    What animals are killed to make chocolate? Confused..

Think you need to support her
    Dairy cows are forced into becoming pregnant so that they continue to produce milk. Their babies (bobby calves) are taken away from them at birth and most are slaughtered. It's horrible for both the mother (they cry for days for their baby) and the calf as it is not given any milk/food as long as it is going to be slaughtered within a certain number of days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    By the way this is a little offensive. I've been ovo lacto vegetarian for 23 years and I am definitely not a hypocrit!
    what on earth its that? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Teenage girls can go off the skids ...drinking, drugs, sex, lying, stealing. It is such a tenuous time pick your battles. A kid not wanting to eat meat ... Isn't that bad considering what else could happen.
    Great point!

We are big meat eaters here but I grew up with a vegetarian in the house. It can be a pain sometimes but its not that hard. it won't kill you to go meat free a couple times a week and for the rest substitute her meat portion for something else. Fwiw green leafy vegetables can have more iron than meat. Get her involved in meal times and research dietary requirements. Just steer her away from fried foods. I know a few vegetarians that rely heavily on them and its not good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I mean is, how can you not eat meat, but eat food that has meat products in it, like chocolate etc. Animals had to die anyway, so what difference is it. Also, she says she will eat fish. Is a fish's life any less important than a cow? Sorry for ranting... just concerned and annoyed.
    Just to address these points, I can see how eating dairy products but not eating meat could be viewed as hypocritical - animals do suffer in the dairy/egg industries, but it's kind of like saying there's no point in trying to do anything environmentally friendly here in Australia, since so much pollution is being produced elsewhere in the world anyway. I think it's better to do what little you can than to do nothing at all!

And comparing the lives of different animals - over fishing is obviously a problem too, but the environmental impact of the cow/pig meat industries is huge. Plus fish/seafood don't have as developed nervous systems, so are less capable of suffering compared to mammals. For example, fish tend not to show distress when separated from their young, cows do

And yes, I'm another one who decided to become vegetarian at 12, and still am at 27. I get regular iron/B12/folate/etc tests and have never been deficient in anything

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-02-2014),Busy-Bee  (03-02-2014),Elijahs Mum  (03-02-2014)