+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much TV do you let your lo watch?

I feel really bad about doing it but I often put my 9 month old in front of Playschool or In the Night Garden just so I can get stuff done. He's really into both shows. I feel really guilty about this, and worry that I'm missing out on spending time with him. It's probably a few shows a day = a couple of hours worth. He's also got his toys and books in his pen too and sometimes prefers to play with them rather than watch.

What about everyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do the same. I figure, just do what works. My lo is very very clingy. If I didn't let her watch some TV I'd never get anything done. As it is I never get to shower by myself

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

LizNeal  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd10 months has no interest in the tv at all, abc is usually on all day as background noise and for ds3 but he prefers to be outside, though when he was dds age he loved to watch Elmo I would put it on for half an hour and run around getting things done. I feel as long as it's not all the time a bit of TV is ok.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chickenfoot83 For This Useful Post:

LizNeal  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizNeal View Post
    I feel really bad about doing it but I often put my 9 month old in front of Playschool or In the Night Garden just so I can get stuff done. He's really into both shows. I feel really guilty about this, and worry that I'm missing out on spending time with him. It's probably a few shows a day = a couple of hours worth. He's also got his toys and books in his pen too and sometimes prefers to play with them rather than watch.

What about everyone else?
    Enjoy it whilst it lasts lol. My 1 yo dd will not sit still anymore to watch tv grrr.
    The tv is always on in the background, mostly music channels or sometimes news or her shows but now she barely pays attention to it. Yo gabba gabba was my lifesaver when she was very little.
    She seems fine to me and she's watched HOURS lol.
    Edit I used to feel guilty but now not at all

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

LizNeal  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the Today show on in the background in the morning. She occasionally looks at it, especially if there is a song or someone talking loudly but doesn't really 'watch' it as such, she is more interested in her toys. I turn it off when I am feeding her as she can get distracted. I've tried putting on ABC kids but she doesn't seem any more interested in that than normal TV so I figure I may as well watch what I want then! I'm no expert but I don't think some TV every day is that harmful, as long as it is mixed up with other types of play. I'm sure you spend time playing with him when you're not busy.
    I also let DD play occasionally with the Fisher Price apps on my iPad which she loves! That is always guaranteed to keep her quiet for a few minutes if I need to get something done.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

LizNeal  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do the same thing..and even parents who don't let their baby watch tv for whatever reason would have other distracting things so they can get stuff done too like play pens and walkers. At the end of the day we need to provide a safe environment for them which means sweeping, vacuuming, and wiping things down, plus washing too that's how I justify it. My son is going through a phase too now where he wants to be held constantly or he cries which is pretty tough lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly I think it's all about balance. I have days out with my 15 month dd and there's no tv... other days we're home and she's playing. ..and other days she watches abc kids and loves it.
    Don't feel guilty! Is your child safe..fed..cuddled. . and given attention? Probably yes!! So there's nothing to feel guilty about. I'm looking forward to the day my dd will watch a movie with me and have lazy tv days. All in moderation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the tv on most or at least some of the day, whether it be my shows or hers, sometimes she watches, sometimes she'd rather play with her toys and other days we are out & about and it doesn't go on at all. All in moderation and I think as long as its a variety of different activities that they are doing throughout the day then its all good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Honestly I think it's all about balance. I have days out with my 15 month dd and there's no tv... other days we're home and she's playing. ..and other days she watches abc kids and loves it.
    Don't feel guilty! Is your child safe..fed..cuddled. . and given attention? Probably yes!! So there's nothing to feel guilty about. I'm looking forward to the day my dd will watch a movie with me and have lazy tv days. All in moderation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm so looking forward to the days where I can snuggle up with dd on a rainy day and watch a kids movie too

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (18-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tv is always on in background and not always on kids shows. I like to listen to the morning shows while I'm doing things with dd or housework. Sometimes it's the radio instead. Ds is 1ths and doesn't care for any tv at this stage but he loves music and enjoys the radio on. 3yr old watches a movie for a couple hrs while ds is having is day sleep. This keeps her quiet and entertained.
    She loves Dora and will ask to watch it a few times a day. We actually don't watch abc kids much at all.