+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We're you actually purposefully hit in the stomach or knocked when the kid shoved past you or something? There is a big difference. If it was the former is be demanding a crisis meeting immediately. If it was the latter I would be setting up a meeting with the Principal & your union rep to outline your concerns and requests.

Your Principal may be incredibly supportive if you give him/her a chance to be so.

As for the 2hrs in the hot sun, if it was a sports carnival or something I don't see this as unreasonable. PE teachers still do their jobs when pregnant, just make sure you have a hat and plenty of water. Sit in the shade when you need to.

I would be telling the class your situation also. Often a great way to win over difficult students is to put your trust in them - tell them you are pregnant and need their help to ensure the baby is safe. Explain that they need to be extra careful around you. In my teaching experience boys can be incredibly gentle and kind.

Do you have a mentor or colleague you could ask advice from for some behaviour management strategies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Kids can be ratty that's part of the risk you run being a teacher. I don't think you can refuse a ratty class just because you are pregnant.

That being said if things cross the line, and it sounds like they have in your case, that's another story. If the students hit you you need to stand up and press charges, regardless of what the principal says. If you are asked to stand out in 36 degree heat, say no.

Sorry for being blunt but neither is acceptable and it's up to the adults involved to set limits and standards in that regard. Don't let yourself be bullied: by the students.. Or the principal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The OP didn't sound like she was deliberately hit in the stomach, not to me anyway. More like she was knocked when they went past or something like that.

Let us know how you go this week OP but it seems an easy decision to me. How many weeks would you be able to work there in total anyway? About 10? I know that's a fair amount of money but not enough to risk your health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:22.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly - I hope you filled out an incident report?? I was accidentally knocked in the tummy while pregnant with an over excited students running and not looking. I started having cramps and was sent home for the day.

In regards to the other stuff unfortunately 30+ days a regular where I live and if the kids weren't allowed out in it they'd spend a huge amount of time indoors. I've often done playground duty heavily pregnant in those conditions.

I think there are a few things going in here. Firstly you need to stand your ground firmly with this class. Under no circumstances should children even accidentally be hitting you in a class room. I'd also be taking notes of all said behaviour and making records in their behaviour files and seeking support from admin.

Your boss can want all he likes for you not to tell others about your pregnancy but ultimately the decision to disclose such information is entirely up to you. I'm quite surprised your boss would have the audacity to even suggest otherwise.

Finally I really think if your husband gets angry at you for wanting to resign that's something he can deal with himself. If you are feeling overwhelmed and anxious about your job (regardless of being pregnant or not) it's simply your decision as to how you deal with that. I'd be horrified if I was with someone pressuring me into something I so obviously didn't want to do. I think just be open, honest and firm with him also.

It sounds like your life is being run by your students, boss and husband. Time to take back control and stand up for yourself I say

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

ButterflyMa  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    I'm confused. So the hit was an accident? Maybe I should read when I'm a little less tired!
    Yes she said she was knocked, not hit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you need to stand up for yourself a little.
    Tell the principle about these students behaviour.
    Fill in an incident report when something happens.
    Also I hate to say it, but, if an angry student is headed toward the door to leave, don't get in their way, just let them leave!
    On a 36 degree day, no one should be outside for 2 hours. Say no.
    Tell who you want about your pregnancy. What's his reasoning for not letting you tell anyone?
    If it doesn't get any better, can you get casual work elsewhere? 20 weeks is pretty early to stop working, and if your partner is going to get "so angry", then perhaps that means financially you need to stay at work longer? Or is he just being controlling?
    If you're suffering anxiety, perhaps ask the doctor for strategies to help control this?
    And if ALL of that doesn't work, and you're still suffering anxiety that you cannot control, and you really really really can't work, tell your partner to STFU, and quit working!
    Sorry if that's a little blunt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Kids can be ratty that's part of the risk you run being a teacher. I don't think you can refuse a ratty class just because you are pregnant.

That being said if things cross the line, and it sounds like they have in your case, that's another story. If the students hit you you need to stand up and press charges, regardless of what the principal says. If you are asked to stand out in 36 degree heat, say no.

Sorry for being blunt but neither is acceptable and it's up to the adults involved to set limits and standards in that regard. Don't let yourself be bullied: by the students.. Or the principal.
    Agree with the first paragraph. The op is pregnant not sick. Not sure why she is worried about being out in the sun either.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

christie24  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    Because it can be very dangerous if a pregnant woman overheats.
    Well if that's the case I should just stay in doors and never go outside because we live in a very hot and humid climate Be sensible and drink lots of water is all you have to do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Well if that's the case I should just stay in doors and never go outside because we live in a very hot and humid climate Be sensible and drink lots of water is all you have to do.
    Meh, everyone's different and copes differently. I just did yard duty in 36 and it sucked. Doing it pregnant would suck way more. We don't have to push ourselves to be right for it if we're not.