+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do people think of your large family?

So we have just started the journey to conceive our 4th bub, it will be our last but I'm already nervous when the time comes to announce a pregnancy because I know some of the reactions I will be getting from family isn't going to be great. Alot of people tend to have an idea in their head that 2-3 kids is the norm and anything above that is just insanity!
    How did you deal with this? Did anybody make you feel really upset about it, did you just ignore those who were like that?
    I love big families, I wish it was more widely accepted as the norm.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TotSnot For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4th daughter is about to turn 2 but when I was pregnant I copped it all. 'You should invest in a TV' 'haven't you heard of contraception' 'life is going to be crazy with 4' at first I was upset or offended by it but then I thought about the people that were making these comments. It was usually people that struggle with 1 or 2 children, people that wanted more but couldn't afford it & other petty reasons for it. I soon got over it and just laughed people off! Now we are planning number 5, I probably won't announce it to people until I'm actually asked, not for the fact I care about other peoples opinions but more so that it has nothing to do with them!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (02-02-2014),TotSnot  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol it's funny isn't it, do people just assume it's an accident? Some people do actually love and want more then just 3 kids

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TotSnot For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    some people should just keep their big mouths shut

Im the youngest of 6 and i love having a big family. Ill be happy with 2 but each to their own, if u want and will love 4 kids then thats awesome! Dont let anyone tell u otherwise

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (02-02-2014),KaraB  (02-02-2014),LoCo  (02-02-2014),TotSnot  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got pregnant with #4 when dd2 was 5 months old. Yes it was a surprise but we were actually really happy about it. I kept getting asked by one friend in particular if I was going to 'get my tubes tied' when I have the c section. Um no I'm not !! For one, I'm only 30 and I might want more children. 2, permanent birth control isn't something our family is interested in. 3, she wanted more children but can't now because she had her tubes done

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (02-02-2014),TotSnot  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've got four, I do find people seem to comment a lot on it, I've never heard anything negative though. Seems to be a lot of "aren't you lucky", "you've got your hands full", "what lovely children" type comments.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BeyondHappy  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pregnant with my 7th (although one is deceased ) and I didn't tell anyone right away about it this time. It was bad enough when I was having my 4th! Strangers were like so this is the last one now right? How about getting yourself f*cked?! Is what I thought but I would politely smile (which annoys me too, feeling compelled to respond politely to such a rude innapropriate remark from someone I don't even know. Most people never see me with them all at once so are really nice at first saying oh is this your second? Then when I tell them the number their faces change and they usually tell me I'm nuts Gee thanks. Well no, I'm not nuts. I didn't plan this many but I'm very happy and lucky to have them I chose not to tell even extended family this time yet and I'm 24 weeks along. I'm not open to being judged right now and I don't think it's anybody's business but those closest to me so I'm not giving people the opportunity or the sense of a right to comment on it because I felt the need to tell them. This pregnancy was a big surprise and it took me a good few months to wrap my head around it. I'm very happy about it now so I'm not about to let anyone being me down about it now. So yes I feel judged about it by people who don't know any better or realize how great it is to have a large family but that only effects me to the extent that I expect to be judged now. I'm not any less happy to have my children because of it though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also one of my pet HATES is reffering to any woman having children as 'breeding'. It's an ugly judgmental thing to say. And regardless of what you think of a person you are also referring to an innocent child. As if there are only certain people who are allowed to be 'having a baby' and anyone deemed unworthy is simply 'breeding'. Grr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is number 5 in our blended family with only 2 with us most of the time plus the kids are teenagers/pre teens so I haven't gotten any criticism. It's our first together so I guess it was mostly expected.

People who don't know me/us very well are usually shocked that there's 4 already & the eldest is 18. I had kids young but to look at me I'm probably not what most people would expect having had them so young if that makes sense.

I'm probably going thru a bit of shock for myself atm, I've had a lot going on and combined with pregnancy hormones I'm starting to wonder how I'll manage to be honest😁

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Strangers comments are always a mixed barrel. We get a lot nice comments with the odd crazy rude one. When someone is rude. Just say excuse me but that is rude.

Family wise at 4 they were "well you should stop" at 5 "they were well that your last right" and now at 6 they are hurry up and have another one.
    You can never win.

Enjoy your Bub and ignore the idiots.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (02-02-2014),KaraB  (02-02-2014)