+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What's Cairns like?

Anyone from Cairns out there that can help with info on the best schools public and private and what places are best to live?

What is child care like are wait lists long? How hot is it really? I have lived in the tropics but not for 7 years and hate living in air-con. How many months would you say you need to live in air-con?

Is it a good place for teens to live? I know every place has its bad raps but do you hear and see more teens in trouble and going down the wrong path in Cairns. Sorry if that offend anyone.

Whats smithfild like to live in? how far to the airport/beach/city is it?

is unemployment really that bad? hubby will be going to a job and I'd be hoping to get into medical recpetion/admin part time.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by munkee View Post
    Anyone from Cairns out there that can help with info on the best schools public and private and what places are best to live?

Hi there! I have lived in cairns since 2006. Best private schools would be TAS, or st Monica's (girls) or st augustines (boys). I live at earlville which is about 5 mins south of the city. Love it here. Most people tend to like edge hill, Whitfield, freshwater. Further north along the beaches is lovely but you will cop some traffic coming into town during peak hour.

What is child care like are wait lists long?

I'm just pregnant but from what I see from friends child are is quite easy to get children into.

How hot is it really? I have lived in the tropics but not for 7 years and hate living in air-con. How many months would you say you need to live in air-con?

Honestly, it only reaches 34 degrees tops, it's the humidity that gets you. I think January is the worst month, I would probably use my aircon for half of January during the day and most nights.

Is it a good place for teens to live? I know every place has its bad raps but do you hear and see more teens in trouble and going down the wrong path in Cairns. Sorry if that offend anyone.

As far as I know teens have plenty to do up here. I would say that keeping them busy in the outdoors. On the reef swimming and fishing, walking through some great walking tracks.

Smithfield is about 10-15mins from the airport. I haven't lived there so can't comment. It has a good shopping centre nearby.

is unemployment really that bad? hubby will be going to a job and I'd be hoping to get into medical recpetion/admin part time.
    Plenty of work for those who want it.

Thank you
    Hope that helps. Feel free to pm me if you want more info.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bluemarlin For This Useful Post:

munkee  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My reply is in the quote, under each question! Stupid phone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much your info has been great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

What is child care like are wait lists long? How hot is it really? I have lived in the tropics but not for 7 years and hate living in air-con. How many months would you say you need to live in air-con?

Thank you
    I've lived here most of my life so here are my answers...

Dependent on what you want! There are good and bad public. I personally like the catholic schools, they are all generally good. Do you have any preference of where you want to be? IMO best places to live are closer to the city: Parramatta Park, Edge Hill, Whitfield, Upper Earlville, Bayview Heights. Southern traffic is bad, Northern isn't as bad. The southern suburbs are cheaper (Edmonton, Bentley Park), but they are getting a bad rep from Department of Housing moving alot of people out that way. My mum lives in edmonton and theft is getting bad. They still like where they live though.

Waitlists - don't have much experience sorry but I don't think they are as bad as the captial cities.

The heat - I'm a local so I don't find it that bad. Air con only goes on during the day when it is super hot, a bit more at night but only between the hottest days in November-March. It is dependent on your house though! We have a tiled and well shaded end unit which gets alot of sea breeze.

Smithfield isn't a bad place to live. Dependent on traffic it is 15-25 mins drive to the city. 10 minute drive to Yorkeys Knob beach. A decent sized shopping centre is there.

Yes! I grew up here and there is plenty to do. The teens getting into trouble come mainly from certain demographics and schools (although all schools are going to have trouble makers).

Jobs are scarce in most industries atm. Very variable though, so I would search for a job prior to coming if you need 2 incomes.
    Last edited by Heids89; 06-02-2014 at 12:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. Was looking at Caravoncia state school. Do you know much about that school. Also hubby likes Kewarra Beach is that a nice place to live what schools are local to that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you. Was looking at Caravoncia state school. Do you know much about that school. Also hubby likes Kewarra Beach is that a nice place to live what schools are local to that?
    Hey. Caravonica is quite a small school, haven't heard good or bad so can't help in that regard sorry. Kewarra is nice, obvious further out of town then smithfield (another few minutes). It has TAS (private school, primary only), Holy Cross (catholic primary) and trinity beach state primary.