+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 19mth old
    Feeds herself, takes herself to the toilet (mostly), helps pack up toys, picks pegs up of the floor/hands up to me, puts her dirty clothes in the wash, puts her plate back on the kitchen bench after meals and washes herself in the bath (not well at all). I still wipe her bum after the toilet, pick her clothes and dress her and make her bed.

My 3.5yo toilets herself, wipes her own bum (mostly but occ asks for help), packs toys away (if I specify exactly what each time), picks her own clothes and dresses herself (usually the same fairy outfit), puts on her shoes, washes herself in the bath, puts away her dirty clothes in the wash and makes her bed every morning.

I try to include them in whatever jobs I'm doing. Like HOF the kids help me when I'm cleaning. They have they sponges/chux and we do it together. No new activity can start unless the previous one is packed up and put away.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter's only 16 months, so there's nothing I really EXPECT her to do where I'll insist if she doesn't comply.

That said, I try to let her/get her to do as much as possible herself. If she's capable, then I'll just leave her to it or encourage her. Exceptions would be if she asks for help, or if we're really pressed for time.

The majority of the time she feeds herself, puts toys/books away (usually something we do together), gets out cutlery/crockery for her meals, takes bowls back to the kitchen after snacks, brings me things if I ask her to, puts her water bottle back on the bench when she's had a drink, cleans up water/wee on the floor with a towel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I don't think your slack, not at all! I don't have the expectation that my 2yr old do these things alone..nor do I make her do them! We do the majority of them together or she "helps" her brothers do them. She loves putting the plastic things away from the dishwasher, loves her little dust glove (she does a terrible job, but I wouldn't tell her that haha), she loves vacuuming (another terrible job!). She does do the dirty clothes ones, all I have to do is to ask her. She can't move the washing to the dryer but she does help me hang things on the airier. She does hang her clothes on her coat hangers, she LOVES doing this, funny as sorting clean washing is a pet hate of mine! As for wiping the cupboards...what 2yr old doesn't like the idea of splashing around with soapy water?

I think it might be the way some people view these 'jobs' we (try) to keep things positive, enjoy the simple things, take part in the day to day running of the house..it's about instilling everyday responsibilities in my kids..I don't want them to grow up thinking that the toilet cleans itself or that dinner magically appears.
    That's a good point. I'm pretty sure my teenager thinks these things magically happen she does very little and when she is made to it's always half assed, ugh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost 3yo ....

Is toilet trained (done it himself), has taken himself with and without the toddler toiletseat and step, or to the potty. He is wanting to wipe himself after #2s!

He can put some shoes on himself, and is improving each day at dressing himself.

He has (of his own accord) ever since ge could walk insists on pouring his dirty clothes in the basket in laundry.

He can top up the dogs water. Likes to feed then too but I try not encourage it as its messy!

Feeds self, mostly with hands has started jerking himself for snacks- fruit, but also loves attempting to make himself a jam sandwich.

Helps pack away toys, wipes table, "helps" vaccum, sweep and mop.

Comes everywhere with me, I'm starting to let him have a say in his clothing... But ill ask something like... "these lego jocks, or these mcqueen ones?" So its a suitable option either way.

He helps wrap presents, make cakes etc.

I've started giving him a shopping list when we shop with the word and a quick picture next to it, with 3 or 4 items....

I try include him in most things but they also aren't "compulsory". He does just love helping!

Proudly brought to you by me and my autocorrect fail device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just tight I would add, I have 2 brothers who were in their teens when I was born. The first time my (now ex) sil met/seen me, I was about 4, standing on a kitchen chair, up to my elbows in dishes and bubbles in the sink......whilst mum was sitting at the kitchen table asking how I was going.

She has said many times (mostly when I was a teen, so lazy etc) how she thought my mum was so so awful for making such a young child do housework... But how now she knows the truth, she found it funny I wouldnt do then then, and it was only because I wanted to do it I was there... Lol

I think if a toddler is happy to help, great!

Proudly brought to you by me and my autocorrect fail device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My bits are 5 & 2 (3next month). I think what you have outlined is fine OP.

My boys just love cleaning ... I often finding my two year old with the chux wiping down benches ... Although sometimes he moves on to the stainless steel fridge and windows which end up looking a lot less 'clean' than when he started!! Ha

But this is what my 2 year old does (and my 5 year old)

- Feeds himself
    - Puts plate and cup in sink when finished
    - Wipes up spills (which I then clean properly afterwards)
    - Toilet stuff (I still doing a good wipe after number 2s). He even cleans up accidents!! That's not an expectation he's just seen me do it and I catch him cleaning up little wee spills with toilet paper off the seat!
    - puts dirty clothes in washing basket
    - waters the herb garden
    - bakes/cooks (with me)
    - hands money to cashiers
    - puts items in the shipping trolley
    - half heartedly packs away toys (his big brother does the lions share and is so good at it I barely need to help).
    - cleans his teeth them I do it afterwards ... I'm aware that he can't do it in his own but he likes to have his turn first. I figure it's good practise.

In addition to this my 5 year old
    - gets himself ready for school
    - packs his lunchbox into his school bag (I pack his lunch though)
    - empties his school bag each arvo and puts lunch containers I the sink.
    - makes his bed
    - cleans his room
    - gives mummy back rubs

I feel it's my job to encourage my children to eventually become independent little beings so I've started with what I feel are age appropriate tasks. There's never been any argument or hassle trying to get them to clean or get ready as it's always been the way in our family. To be honest I barely gave to even ask them to do anything. My boys just clean up after themselves as they go. They also have always packed up an activity before moving into the next as that's what I taught them to do from a very early age. Their room is always clean.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 02-02-2014 at 15:21.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (02-02-2014),shadowangel0205  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really don't expect my almost 3yr old to do much at all. I've given up on trying, to be honest!
    She dresses herself and picks out her own clothes. Feeds herself and Uses the toilet herself. Brushes her teeth and gets in the car and buckles herself in. These things help me so much while also having a 1yr old who does nothing for himself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 21 month old DS does quite a lot but I don't expect too much. For example he can feed himself, put stuff in the rubbish etc but I don't always ask him to do it.

Mainly I expect to drink by himself, help clean up a mess if he does it, help put toys away, go to the toilet assisted, listen to instructions and not bite or hit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3.5 year old:

Puts his clean washing away (I sort it in piles on his floor and he puts it away)
    Help pack up the play area at the end of the day (we do this as a family)
    Scrape his plate into the chicken scraps container and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher
    Take his shoes off when we get home and put them away in his cupboard
    Wash his hands independently before meals
    When it is bath time he needs to get his pyjamas out and bring them into the bathroom
    Feed his fish

He still needs help with shirts when getting dressed, wiping his bum and I still brush his teeth after he has had a go.

My 21 month old

Takes her shoes off and puts them away in her cupboard when we get home
    Scrapes her plate into the chicken scraps and puts the dirty plate/cup/cutlery etc in the dishwasher
    Gets her pyjamas out before her bath
    Help pack up the play area before bedtime
    Wash her hands before meals

She needs me to wipe her bum, help her get dressed and brush her teeth

They both help me when I do the dusting

I don't pose these as jobs or things to be got through, we all chip in to keep our house running.

Thanks
    Reviews
    5yrs 8mths and 2yrs 10mths
    - do dishes
    - set and clear away the kitchen table
    - put dirty clothes in clothes basket
    - help hang the washing
    - keep bedroom clean
    - feed the dogs
    - bath themselves and wash his hair
    - dress themselves
    - make beds in the morning
    - feed themselves, help themselves to food and drinks in fridge
    - pack toys away after play
    - brush teeth twice a day (I do a once over when finished to ensure they are done properly)
    - take the chook scraps out and collect the eggs

ds1 also puts on his own shoes and socks and helps clean the pool.