+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    We go by this

Attachment 49878
    Really?? Wow. My little girl will be 2 in April and I don't expect her to do anything at all except be her adorable little self. She brushes her teeth supervised and shes still trying to master the potty but thats about it. Maybe that makes me slack according to this? I just think chores can wait until she's at least talking properly. I think she should just be able to play and have fun at this age :/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think 4 is way too young to let kids brush teeth themselves.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (02-02-2014),KillerHeels  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is really good at brushing I thought! I count to 20 while he brushes each side, bottom then top then front? What does every one else do?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    Really?? Wow. My little girl will be 2 in April and I don't expect her to do anything at all except be her adorable little self. She brushes her teeth supervised and shes still trying to master the potty but thats about it. Maybe that makes me slack according to this? I just think chores can wait until she's at least talking properly. I think she should just be able to play and have fun at this age :/
    I don't think your slack, not at all! I don't have the expectation that my 2yr old do these things alone..nor do I make her do them! We do the majority of them together or she "helps" her brothers do them. She loves putting the plastic things away from the dishwasher, loves her little dust glove (she does a terrible job, but I wouldn't tell her that haha), she loves vacuuming (another terrible job!). She does do the dirty clothes ones, all I have to do is to ask her. She can't move the washing to the dryer but she does help me hang things on the airier. She does hang her clothes on her coat hangers, she LOVES doing this, funny as sorting clean washing is a pet hate of mine! As for wiping the cupboards...what 2yr old doesn't like the idea of splashing around with soapy water?

I think it might be the way some people view these 'jobs' we (try) to keep things positive, enjoy the simple things, take part in the day to day running of the house..it's about instilling everyday responsibilities in my kids..I don't want them to grow up thinking that the toilet cleans itself or that dinner magically appears.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (02-02-2014),Renn  (02-02-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DS is really good at brushing I thought! I count to 20 while he brushes each side, bottom then top then front? What does every one else do?
    I brush my kids teeth, our dentist says they need help until they are at least 7 to ensure it is done properly. To add to the topic about self care, they do do everything else for themselves, I only change DD's nappy and do her hair, after she has 'brushed' it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A paediatric dentist recommended that they only start brushing their teeth themselves at around 6.

My 3 year old:
    - goes to the toilet himself but needs help with wiping after number 2s
    - dresses his lower half but gets help with his top half
    - gets help with teeth
    - puts his own dishes away
    - packs away toys at the end of the day

He won't feed himself his meals at all, even if it's finger food that he likes. He might have a couple of mouthfuls then almost can't be bothered. Any tips? I have visions of me feeding him at the age of 30!
    Last edited by RastaMouse; 02-02-2014 at 10:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    A paediatric dentist recommended that they only start brushing their teeth themselves at around 6.

My 3 year old:
    - goes to the toilet himself but needs help with wiping after number 2s
    - dresses his lower half but gets help with his top half
    - gets help with teeth
    - puts his own dishes away
    - packs away toys at the end of the day

He won't feed himself his meals at all, even if it's finger food that he likes. He might have a couple of mouthfuls then almost can't be bothered. Any tips? I have visions of my feeding him at the age of 30!
    I would slowly start to reduce how long I fed him for than leave him to finish up if he wants it. Unless there is an underlying sensory issue.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The kids want to brush themselves so I will allow them and will sometimes do a final brush over. I think I will have to rethink this and do a more thorough job.

With packing up toys I do help most of the time. I get annoyed when I ask the kids to help and they don't but start dragging out more things so then I take the hard line and will stop helping and get them to do it. I will try to take a more positive approach.

There is plenty the kids can do because they have done so before so when they choose not to is when I get cranky. Will look at making things more fun though. Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Salsamamma, my kids feed them self bc t hey go to daycare and that is pretty much what all the kids do. My nephew is 3.5 and recently started feeding himself when at his grandparents so your ds will be fine

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son just turned three. He puts his plate/cups etc in the sink or on the bench when finished, and puts his food scraps in the compost or bin. He help to set the table, which he loves and gets his own fruit from the fruit bowl. He goes to the potty or toilet by himself but I wipe his bottom for him after a poo, and washes and dries his own hands. He washes his hands before dinner and washes his face/hands after dinner without assistance. He also helps to pack away his toys and books. He brushes his teeth every morning and night, but obviously I give them a brush after he has had a go. He washes himself and his hair by himself as well. He feeds himself and has done for a long time, paint smocks are brilliant when we have soup for dinner but I cut up his meat/fish for him. He loves to 'help' around the house and garden, so he helps out by feeding the dog/cats/fish, dusting and vacuuming and wiping over things as well as watering the garden. His favourite job is scooping up the dog poo Works for me!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (02-02-2014)