+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DS can't master tying shoelaces! Help!!

Hi

I'm in desperate need of some advice. My DS (aged 8) still cannot tie his shoelaces. I have tried, and tried and TRIED to no avail.

He seems to be able to do the first part.... crossing laces over, feeding one under the other etc but when it comes to the looping over the thumb part, he is lost DS has had some fine motor issues (pencil grip etc) for which he had some OT but the shoelaces have me stumped. Does anyone have any ideas to help me help DS?

TIA

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I taught DS by making two bunny ears (2 loops), cross them over and then take one under and through. Basically just like the first part but with the two bunny ears.

KWIM?

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/twoloopknot.htm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea sorry. But teaching kids to tie laces makes my head spin almost as much as teaching them to ride bikes . So I feel your pain.

I bought my 6yo lace-up shoes this year, so I am not looking forward to teaching him, as he gets frustrated easily. My eldest learnt really quickly. My DD didn't, she took ages, I think the only thing that encouraged her to do it was that in the busy morning period I would tell her to get dressed and get shoes on, but then I'd be too busy to do her laces til last minute so she got sick of waiting and would try and try until she got it right.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is nearly 7 and I gave up trying, she couldn't even get the bunny ears technique. I have found Velcro runners on amazon that go all the way up to adult sizes so am just going to leave it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still can only do the bunny ears trick :/
    Mum gave me Velcro or buckle shoes until I was 8/9 until I mastered the bunny ears which much easier.
    I tried and tried and nothing wrong with me just couldn't get it and still can't lol
    Edit never could hold a pen correctly I used pencil grips.
    Hold cutlery wrong too.
    Got no chance with chopsticks
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 01-02-2014 at 07:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    I still can only do the bunny ears trick :/

Hold cutlery wrong too.
    Got no chance with chopsticks
    I don't know why I found this so hilarious. I find chopsticks easy but i'm terrible with a knife and fork. Still get people to cut my meat!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (01-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A quick google comes up with heaps of different resources, this one seems good:
    http://www.*******.com.au/Back-to-Sc...83+article.htm

I think it's important to practice with him at a time when you're not busy so he doesn't feel rushed. So maybe if you tie the shoes in the morning but have a 10 minutes practice session each day when he get's home from school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to suggest trying the bunny ears method too. I'd never even heard of it until I met DP, since that's still the only way he knows how to do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    See I just cannot do bunny ears, one loop and then wrap the other around.

We bribed DS to be honest, we got the grandparents involved too so we were teaching him and they were too (sometimes other people have better luck!) only trouble was that my Mother in Law has a really odd way of tying shoes (we couldn't figure it out!) and had to reteach him.

Once he'd had two or three weeks of tying his shoes on his own then he got a present. If he "relapses" due to sheer laziness then then present is confiscated until he can "remember".

He was nearly 7 when all of this happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I tried and tried with DS. I showed him a few different ways to tie them, tried bribing him with a cash incentive, all to no avail.
    In then end I would tie them in the morning, he'd go to school and they would come undone and his friends would re-tie them/show him how it's done and this did the trick. He's been in lace up shoes for a while now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app