+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age to stop bottles?

My son is 20months old and he has 2 bottles a day... 1 first thing in the morning when he wakes up and 1 to put him to sleep at night... he loves them! What age should he stop having bottles?
    What age did you stop your babies having bottles?
    How do I stop them without making him upset?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It recommended to stop bottles at around 12mo. I think for some babies that's pretty early. We stopped bottles at about 18mo after gradually reducing them. By that point she really didn't seem to care.

Your bub can still have milk before bed, but just give it to him in a sippy cup instead just before brushing teeth & bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stopped all mine at 12 months, just went from bottle to silly cup, whatever they had their water in

Sent from my X10i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We stopped at 12 months too. Waiting till they are older makes it harder imo.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm looking into this at the moment. At the 12 month check mchn recommended around 15 months. Dd is 16 months now so just working out a plan of attack for over the next few months or so

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped DD at 12 months also and had no issues. Went to a sippy cup for about 5 months then no longer needed milk to fall asleep. Good luck op. DD is 28 months and is still quite attached to her dummy so that will be my issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD loved her bottle. Was only having 1 before bed but was about 2.5 before she'd give it up. I tried everything. I cut the top off teats but it didn't bother her.
    Then one day just said "no bottle no dummy I big girl" and threw them all away.
    If she was waking at night asking for it I'd have put a stop to it but never did

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep it's recommended around 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I stopped bottles at about 14 months and switched to a sports sipper bottle, while reducing the amount of formula then by about 16 months he was just having a few sips of water before bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped cold turkey at 22 months. She was drinking water from straw cups. I just put milk in a mug and put a straw in it. Over the next few days I'd take out the straw for the last two sips and let her drink directly from the mug. Now at 2 years she drinks from her mug like the rest of us at home!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rpie For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (03-02-2014)