Closed Thread
Page 64 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Gem, sorry your embys were not viable, I've realised that we really only produce a couple of good eggs here and there and it's really just sheer luck if you land a good one. Hope your next attempt is the lucky one. I hear you regarding being single,i always felt that way after a fail especially knowing my friend was also doing ivf with her husband and she could still keep trying naturally between cycles.

Kelly I was booked in to do pgd on my last attempt and because I only got one egg I decided not to do it. Here in Sydney it cost 3.9K and no rebate from Medicare so you would want at least 3 embryos like Gem to proceed with testing to make it worth the cost.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Helsbaby For This Useful Post:

Jem70  (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry to hear @Jem70. It must be so frustrating and heartbreaking to get to that point and have nothing to transfer.
    Good on you for not giving up and giving it another try.
    Have you considered egg donation? I am starting to wonder if I should go on a waiting list while I'm trying with my own dodgy eggs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesparrow74 For This Useful Post:

Jem70  (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes so hard getting to a position where one is considering the donor path - extra interesting being single too - as it's donor eggs AND donor sperm. Considering the cost of donor eggs (about 20k if you recruit through melb ivf, although of course there's the option of going overseas for it), my backup plan has been considering donor embryo (much less expensive). Sparrow and other single girls, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have given some thought to donor embryo. I understand that it is cheaper and the waiting time can be shorter. I sometimes give some thought to the fact that the child would be genetically related to another child. But ultimately if I can carry a child and raise him/her as my own I'm not to fussed about the genetics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes that has occurred to me too - there would be full brothers and or sisters in the world out there.

If one had a partner, it would be easier this choice (although never easy per se), as at least there'd be a genetic link to one of you..

It's probably a little crazy and I'm sure it's something one would get over but it's also sad for me thinking I'll never potentially have a child, with my eyes. Although not all kids look like their parents anyway.

Seeing how difficult having a genetic child is at this age, I'm almost starting to wonder if I'm just engaged in a fruitless very expensive exercise.. Part of me thinks it would be easier to get back on the dating bandwagon and what will be, will be. Sometimes I wonder if it's actually more likely for one to fall pregnant naturally, over 40. That's how it happened for me last time. I mean maybe our eggs are too fragile to be pulled out of our bodies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally think my need to have a child out weighs any 'ethical' issues ie the child not being genetically related. I would even look into adoption if this path doesn't work out for me. There are just so many difficult decision to make especially when taking into account that you are making decisions for another human being.
    My track record with men (and the rather small dating pool in Hobart) put me in the position that I made this decision to go it alone and if I had to decide between having a baby or a man I would choose the baby but I'm not giving up on the hope of having both.
    I think I might make an appointment with my FS and put it all on the table, realistically find out my chances and make a plan.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesparrow74 For This Useful Post:

Kelly70  (10-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for for all your kind words and support. It means a lot!
    @Helsbaby - you're proof that it does just take one!
    @Kelly70 pgd at mivf is about 2.5k for up to 4 embryos minimum fee even if you only have 1. But you can bank embryos and only test when you have enough. No one told me that when I tested just one so it was expensive. This cycle is costing me almost 12k so after Medicare, expect to pay more than 6k per cycle.

I'm probably just in the post failed cycle slump but I've heard 3 day pgd testing can be inaccurate so I'm going to do a bit more research on that before I commit again.
    @LittleSparrow I'm not sure about donor eggs yet - I think I wanted to believe that if i was patient it might happen. Has anyone looked at California conceptions for donor embryos? I've heard it's about 11.5k for three attempt, money back if you don't get pregnant.

Spoke to my FS today and she supported the idea of another cycle due to the higher egg numbers in this one, but warned me the results would probably be the same. They say after 42 that 1 in 10 is ok on average so I feel like I've got a little bit of search energy left. If I don't get straight back on the horse, at least by commuting to another cycle in September, I think I'd easily talk myself out of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, baby steps, but getting there.. Am awaiting an apt time with my current FS and have also just received my cycle history from melb ivf. Rushing out to post it all off to Lynn B 's office with a cover letter begging her to take me.
    Okay maybe not begging but asking her very nicely and name dropping my close girlfriend whom she was able to help.
    No shame but whatever it takes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jem - glad they supported another cycle for you, I should hope so with those numbers. Hope you're feeling okay today.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly70 For This Useful Post:

Jem70  (10-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kelly - very excited for you. I've got a few friends that swear if they had their time again they would go to Monash.

im a bit up and down - but once I get rid of the progesterone bloat I think I will be able to move forward.