Closed Thread
Page 13 of 103 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Lizh! You found us

Kelly - aftr complaining yesterday the wait was doing my head, toeday I wake up to an email that my donor is ready to start and I have to start taking meds from tomorrow Gosh I hope she takes more than ten days to stim! I'm gonna be walking off the plane in Athens and jumping straight up on the table for a transfer! I've finally been given my detailed meds plan, and she starts me on 2 progynova a day, but increases me to 6, including 2 vaignally which she had only recently said they do very rarely ... which means she must be looking at my file now and realising I'm the nutbag that takes a truckload of meds to grow a toasty lining. Oh the joys of being 'rare'. So now I'm torn whether to follow her program - or go heavy on the neds right from the start ... Think I'll call my FS here and see what she says.

Your turn Kelly - lets whip your donor into shape and get on the road!

On another note, I can really appreciate what you say about making your journey alone. You;ve made such a brave choice, and I've no doubt it will be rewarded, but its a tough choice all the same. My girlfriend was in the same boat last January, 34 yrs, AMH of 1.2 and single, she was about to start IVF when she met a bloke who she really connected with, he was happy to be a 'natural donor' and make no claims if it didn't work out ... three months later they were married, she was pregnant at the wedding, and she gave birth on her due date to a perfect baby boy. I know that's "the dream" ... and I hope that comes your way too, but prior to her miracle, she was going through all the same thoughts you were and finding it really tough. I take my hat off to you, and hope you've got lots of lovely friends and family to cheer you on for the amazing woman that you are (and help you out when it all gets a little insane!).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

lizlh  (21-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vix and Kelly - I struggled with the concept of doing it alone and weighed up the pros and cons. As I am an only child it wasn't a difficult decision.

Good luck in Athens Vix I hope the donor has lots of good quality eggs got you. That a lot of meds!

Kelly 5 weeks will fly. I chose an America donor because he was younger and had a great and compete profile including a baby photo. I didn't want to use a donor that was on the list for a while. Do you know what type of characteristics you are looking for ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I wrote again to the clinic last night cos I was waorried about the time lapse and asked why the progy dose startws low and then increases... She said the donor won't start for a couple more days, they're just starting me early to give my lining enough time to get thick enough. She said they start the oestrogen dose low and then increase it because that's how the body does it naturally and they try to mimic the bodies own process.

I like those answers! But I've still decided to take an extra 2 progy a day on top of what she's prescribed ... just in case - I'm pretty sure I'll need the higher dose given my experience last time. My first scan to check the lining is on 31 Mar, so I'll have been on meds for 9-10 days by then and if it isn't getting thick I'll know and still have another 10 days before arriving in Athens to ramp the meds up ...

It's all getting very close! Does anyone know why you're told to avoid sugar and salt while on Prednisolone? Life without salt? Is there such a thing????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Probably because you get a lot of fluid retention on steroids, so you need to make sure your water intake is good and salt low. Not sure about sugar, but I have heard weight gain is a biggie with them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes at this point vix I've given up on the dream and waiting for a man to come along and make it all happen for me. I still have hope I will meet someone (both if I do or don't get pregnant) down the track.. But I'm done looking for a guy 'in time' for this.. Body clock is banging the door down at this stage!! And that's all okay.. I also prefer the idea of managing my kid on my own, in peace than within the context of the wrong relationship which could lead to dramas.. I don't want a kid in the middle of that and that's why I left my relationship last year.

Hels: was the American donor on the books at the clinic or did you recruit outside of the clinic? Starting to think maybe I should have done that too!! Although melb ivf are very strict with how many kids one donor can father (which is why they have waiting lists I suspect). Yes I've thought about characteristics - physically I'd prefer someone of similar colouring to me and tall-ish is also good more importantly I'd be also looking for degrees of intelligence - they write a bio in their own hand writing I believe so am hoping I can glean intelligence levels that way otherwise I'm pretty open. I think I'll know him when I see him - so excited to see the list when it comes up!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kelly yes he was on the books at IVFA and the bio was really complete and handwriting included. I looked for things such as family medical history, issues with sight and hearing and similar physical characteristics to me. I got the brains so was not too worried about that lol. When you get access, the thing to check is the date he's been registered on their list. If he's been there for a few years I would be wary as he may have been used multiple times and not produced a pregnancy. That's what I checked anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah good tip!! The donor nurse did say there was a longer wait than usual at the moment as they were in the middle of finishing up a recruitment process of a whole new batch of donors. So hopefully I'll get a newbie.. Do they advise if the donor has successfully produced any children yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes there is a question on the form where they list number of children they have. If you get a younger one he may not have any. My donor is 22 lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kelly & other ladies, hope you don't mind me joining your thread?

I'm also single and looking to go down the sperm donor road as last year I found out my amh is only 1.4 so my time is limited. Unfortunately I also have a high fsh (16.6) which I need to get below 10 in Oder to start ivf. So I've been seeing a Chinese medicine dr for 2 months now taking herbs and having acupuncture in the hope it will help. If not I've been told I will need donor eggs as the drugs won't work for me. So I'm in limbo at the moment! I'm struggling to come to terms with it all and worry if I'll cope being a single mum. But then I think of never having a child and I can't bare the thought!
    So I'm just taking it one step at a time right now, I had a blood test this morning to test my fsh so am hoping like crazy it is lower! Fingers crossed ...

It's nice to know there are others out there who are in the same boat as this can be a lonely road, especially when you're on your own. It's nice to be able to chat to there who understand :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kelly - another Kelly, funny!!

Welcome to our thread, how wonderful to meet another single girl going down this path, this makes me feel reassured somehow! I'm guessing you're under 40? Very smart getting onto it now - if I knew 5 years ago what I know now, I would have started this back then.

Yes it can be a lonely, exciting, scary path doing it by yourself - lots of mixed emotions. But like you I can't bear the thought of not being a mother and this is infinitely better than that road I suspect.

When are you scheduled to start a cycle and can I ask what clinic you are with, I see you're in melbourne like me.

Good work getting onto Chinese herbs and acupuncture for your FSH, I suspect your results will have improved. Let us know how you go?