+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bicarb/vinegar? Does it work?

So I want to clean my bathrooms and I love using easy off bam by considering I'm pregnant I'd rather not expose myself to that sort of chemical

Does the bicarbonate/vinegar thing work to clean showers/bath tubs etc?
    My tiles are all new so they aren't full of mould or crazy bath scum but they do need a good scrub (husband and children are usually filthy at the end of the day )

How do I do it? Mix it up and then spray on or what?

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thought about enjo?

I use there bathroom cloths plus the calcium desolver every now and again but not often as it's not to bad with the tank water.

It's the best idea by far if on septic tank.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I find vinegar with a splash of eucalyptus oil in a spray bottle great for cleaning the bathroom. I don't really use bicarb in the bathroom.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use a splash of vinegar on a microfibre cloth for surfaces like sink, floor, mirror, glass screen in the bathroom. But I haven't yet found anything natural to remove mould from the shower cubicle (suggestions anyone?!?). I think I used easyoff once upon a time and it did a great job. But now with bub around, and expecting a second one, I'm back to vinegar and mould.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (31-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    I use a splash of vinegar on a microfibre cloth for surfaces like sink, floor, mirror, glass screen in the bathroom. But I haven't yet found anything natural to remove mould from the shower cubicle (suggestions anyone?!?). I think I used easyoff once upon a time and it did a great job. But now with bub around, and expecting a second one, I'm back to vinegar and mould.
    Vinegar will only kill mould, not bleach it. I just try to stay on top of it by cleaning the shower with vinegar and a grout brush every few showers. I will usually do a quaterly bleaching just with a cheap version of exit mould. I'm not a fan of chemicals but I rent so need to be extra cautious nothing is 'damaged'.

Clove oil is meant to be good for mould too. Not too sure if will 'bleach' any stains away though as I've never personally used it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

debsch  (31-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sprinkle a good amount of bicarbonate soda on the spots I need it, then spray it with vinegar, leave it fester for 15, then give it a good scrub with a brush or coarse scrubbing implement, gotta put some elbow grease into it, but I find it to be pretty reliable. It got rust stains off my bench top. ....ironically caused by vinegar.... And a cheap necklace. Have you tried a steam machine thing? They are amazing, and no chemical! Though time consuming, its addictive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use dish soap (Fairy) mixed with vinegar on the shower. It's def not chemical free though... but it works and doesn't smell as dangerous as, say, bleach!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in the shower lastnight after work thinking "the shower needs a clean" so I got the body wash and the shower sponge and started washing....I was amazed at the grime simply comming off!!! (I usually clean the showers during the day with a proper cleaner). Then I rinsed and sprayed the 'after shower' cleaner on to make the glass clean and streak free, and it was done, eazy peazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    I was in the shower lastnight after work thinking "the shower needs a clean" so I got the body wash and the shower sponge and started washing....I was amazed at the grime simply comming off!!! (I usually clean the showers during the day with a proper cleaner). Then I rinsed and sprayed the 'after shower' cleaner on to make the glass clean and streak free, and it was done, eazy peazy!
    Shampoo works well on glass showers as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (31-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have bicarb in one of the those parmesan shaker things, and vinegar in a spray bottle. I sprinkle the bicarb then spray the vinegar on top, let it sit for a few seconds while it fizzes, then scrub. I find it works really well. On the walls where the bicarb doesn't stay put, I spray with vinegar, then sprinkle bicarb on the cloth, then wipe.

Clove oil diluted in a spray bottle of water is best for killing mould as vingar only 'cleans' it, but doesn't kill it apparently. Unfortunately our mould is under the silicone so we can't clean it without pulling it all up grrrr.

I use gumption or Jiff for the bathtub as it s easier and comes up really clean. (I think these are pretty low on chemicals).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

hummingbird1  (31-01-2014)