+ Reply to Thread

Default Questions to ask OB before elective c-section?

Any tips on questions I should ask my OB before my c-section? Am thinking things like....what is process on the day, type of stitches he uses, how likely is skin to skin immediately following. Thanks!

I wanted to know these things:

* What is the process on the day (when do I arrive, where do I go etc?)
    * What will happen with the c-section itself (how long will it take, what kind of anesthetic would likely be used etc)?
    * When would the catheter be inserted?
    * Will DH be able to stay with me through the whole procedure?
    * Will DH and DD be able to come with me to recovery?
    * When could I have skin to skin contact?
    * When could I attempt breastfeeding?
    * What would happen if DD had to go into the special care nursery?
    * Would she use stitches or sutures? If stitches, were they dissolvable or would they need to be removed? If they needed to be removed, when would that happen?

You might also want to see the actual birth, so you might ask if it is possible for the curtain to be lowered. Or if you have any other special requests like asking if you can play certain music, having the procedure explained to you as it happens etc.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you had one before? If not, maybe you can ask for a step-by-step explanation of what will happen on the day. See if they can show you where the op will take place so it's not a surprise. As for skin-to-skin, emphasise the importance of it for you and if it is possible for it to happen soon after delivery. Maybe they already have a policy in place for that? I know some places believe quite strongly in the practice, other places might be a bit old fashioned.
    Good luck!