+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Speech therapy.

So I'm booked in to take DS age 3 to the nurse the week after next, where we will likely get a referral to see a speech therapist. DS started to stutter shortly after turning 3, it progressively got worse over a few weeks then stopped again altogether. I did some research at the time and read that stuttering can be normal at his age, to monitor it and if it was still an issue by 3.5 see a therapist. He will be 3.5 in 2 weeks and there's still some issues. The stuttering isnt as prevalent now, but he does sometimes struggle to get the first syllable of words out and I can physically see him struggling with it when he speaks. It mostly happens when he is talking very fast, or telling a long story. He will stumble over a word, his little face strains to get it out and he even jumps forward as if he's trying to force it from his body. Because it isn't happening with every word or phrase he says I'm still not sure if it is a speech issue or just his little mouth working faster then his brain can keep up.

He's always hit development milestones on time or early in the past, found his voice around the time he turned 2 and seemed to be progressing fine until the stuttering began. Nevertheless I'm really scared for him. He's my first and only baby, the thought of him having anything wrong that could make his life harder just breaks my heart. I'm hoping to connect with some mums who've been through this or recognise the issues I've described. If he does have a speech issue and needs therapy what should we expect? The fact he doesn't do it all the time is a good sign right? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are about to start speech therapy with our 3.5yr old next week for a stutter. The things you describe your son doing are certainly things we have seen in our daughter at various times, so I would think it is a speech issue. Also, like your son, she has had periods of time when her stutter virtually disappeared for weeks on end, but has re-appeared (at varying severity) each time.

We initially sought advice from a speech therapist when we saw that our daughter was becoming distressed when she couldn't get words out. The advice, like you said, was that it was common and that many children outgrow it naturally. Apparently if it is still happening after 12 mths then it is unlikely to go away by itself. We were advised to monitor it (which involved using a rating scale) and to wait and see, as long as she wasn't too distressed by it. It has now been about 10 mths, and we have decided that it is unlikely to disappear by itself. She starts kinder next week and I don't want it to be a big issue for her there if we can help it.

We are seeing a therapist who specializes in treating kids who stutter, and they use the Lidcombe Program, which is aimed at kids from 3.5-5 years (I think). Apparently it is a great program with very good levels of success. I really really hope it works, because like you said, it's so horrible seeing them struggle and I hope it's not something that's going to make her life more difficult down the track. Time will tell I suppose. Apparently we need to go weekly for at least the first 6 weeks of treatment, and it involves a 15min session at home daily (play based). It's certainly going to be costly unfortunately, but if it works it will be worth it! I imagine there would be options through the public system too, but there might be a bit of a wait depending where you are based.

Hopefully some others will chime in with success stories or more info, but I think a trip to the child health nurse is definitely a good first step!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a look at the info provided to us by the speech therapist, and the information about the program has come from the Australian Stuttering Research Centre (University of Sydney). It might be worth having a look at their website if you get a chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sajimum thank you so much for your response. I take it from your post you have gone for private medical treatment rather then through the public system. Would you be comfortable sharing why you made that choice how much this has/will cost you? Best of luck to your daughter as well. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalasmooch View Post
    Sajimum thank you so much for your response. I take it from your post you have gone for private medical treatment rather then through the public system. Would you be comfortable sharing why you made that choice how much this has/will cost you? Best of luck to your daughter as well. x

We opted to use the private system primarily for 2 reasons:
    1) we wanted a speech therapist that specialized in stuttering therapy
    2) we didn't want to have to wait (waiting lists are long here)

We were also recommended someone by a colleague so wanted to see her.

I can't remember what the initial assessment cost ($200ish maybe). Each session is $75-$100 depending how long it goes for.

Our private health doesn't cover it, but we are eligible for 5 Medicare rebated sessions a year as part of an Enhanced Care Plan. If your son has any health issues (eg asthma, ear issues, etc) he may be eligible but I am not sure of the criteria.

Good luck with your appointment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump. Anyone else?