+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    I would have thought 12/13 would be too young for tampons? I don't think I used them until I was around 15
    I started using them when I was 11. It was actually really handy if I had to discreetly put one in my pocket to go to the toilet during class time.
    Just explain to her how important it is to change them regularly.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    I would have thought 12/13 would be too young for tampons? I don't think I used them until I was around 15
    My mum wouldn't let me use them until I was older because "I was to young" but I HATED pads, I always had very heavy periods and I hated dealing with the mess and the bulky pads etc. I used to cringe that you could see the bump from behind, or that the pad had leaked. And it did leak once, when I was 13, I was sooooo mortified, I've never forgotten it. I will be getting my girls applicator tampons like Tampax to start off with just to use for swimming or heavy days, I really don't see the harm. Unless of course there's a physical reason, like maybe the hy.men stops the tampon going in? Lol I don't know I'm just guessing! A lot Of that ^^^ is not relevant to your situation but it's just my 5c worth on the subject
    Last edited by Gothel; 30-01-2014 at 16:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can buy smaller, slim tampons which are designed for younger women wanting to use them. Libra Girl are the ones I use - and they come with an applicator which would make things so much easier for someone just starting out.

I've always found ordinary tampons too difficult and uncomfortable (very tight muscles - gods help me pushing this baby out!) so the "girl" ones overcome that whilst still providing a good amount of absorbency.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (31-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to use the tampax ones with an applicator as an early teen. But I found once in the we're 'ahem' rather large. I've since used the smallest slimmest ones of the popular brands and find them perfect.

Maybe DD could experiment with some different brands /types when she's ready. There's nothing worse than wanting to go swimming and not being able too.

FWIW I went swimming in the sea during my first period with a pad on... It turned into a surfboard. I'm surprised I didn't float away lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha! I can clearly remember being told as a young teen that you can still go swimming if you have your period. Jumped into a pool with a pad on and ha - like Taiyed's experience - discovered quickly that, no you can't go swimming with a pad on. Can't remember at what age I switched over to tampons.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (31-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used tampons from the second time I got AF, I was 12.
    I would let my daughter if she wanted to, and I'd let her know about her options in case she isn't well informed.

Good luck OP, I've only got a son at the moment so none of this is actually in my future as it presently stands!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a friend told me that you don't bleed when you go swimming?!? Sounded bizarre to me and one I wouldn't want to try it out. Anyone else heard of this? She reckons you take out your tampon right before swimming then go pop a fresh one in after you're done. Maybe she's a light bleeder coz once she's in bed she stops bleeding, unlike me I bleed all night.

Sorry OP went off topic a little.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    I had a friend told me that you don't bleed when you go swimming?!? Sounded bizarre to me and one I wouldn't want to try it out. Anyone else heard of this? She reckons you take out your tampon right before swimming then go pop a fresh one in after you're done. Maybe she's a light bleeder coz once she's in bed she stops bleeding, unlike me I bleed all night.

Sorry OP went off topic a little.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app
    Um.. Yep not true!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was a swimmer when I was younger so as soon as I got AF I was handed tampons and didn't even know much about pads. Was so much easier in the younger years. I still remember the day I got AF and my mum tried to say not to worry about going to water polo that night but nothing would stop me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for your feedback everyone
    Well she didn't get my text before she got in the pool but it all went fine. She wore a clean pad, bikini pants and board shorts over the top. No disasters!

I bought her some mini tampons tonight for when she's ready to give them a go.