+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone been to Long Island resort (whitsundays)?

We would like to take our first family vacation there over Easter break and I'm hoping to pick the brain of someone who's stayed before. I'm particularly wondering if it's possible to take our own food over as the meal packages end up costing more then the accommodation! I believe the room will have a fridge and a little kitchenette, I'm guessing there are BBQs around too which we'd work with. Any other advice or info is greatly appreciated, we don't go away often and since it's DS3s first holiday I want It to be a big success

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump. No one at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bumping for you!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MZmama For This Useful Post:

Lalasmooch  (30-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've been to Long Island. There's no BBQ and not really any facilities to cook in the rooms. From memory there was a tiny fridge, a kettle and possibly a toaster. Best bet would be to buy your own breakfast cereals and milk. You could also possibly buy bread to make sandwiches for lunch. We just got the meal package as it was convenient and I really liked the food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I've been to Long Island. There's no BBQ and not really any facilities to cook in the rooms. From memory there was a tiny fridge, a kettle and possibly a toaster. Best bet would be to buy your own breakfast cereals and milk. You could also possibly buy bread to make sandwiches for lunch. We just got the meal package as it was convenient and I really liked the food.
    Thanks for answering, I was afraid this would be the case. It just seems like such a rip off. We will be there for 3 nights, paying 480ish for the rooms but the meal package for our stay will total to almost 600 bucks! For 2 adults and a toddler that seems kinda steep especially since it's more then the room! Oh well, I guess I'll find somewhere else and maybe save for Hamilton Island later on. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I thought kids eat free with paying adults? Which room were you going to stay in?

We had a beach front then changed. If you can get a garden room, it is still so close to the beach, and the room that we ended up moving to was way bigger than the beach front rooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We booked to stay there & were very disappointed.
    Room was bare basic and the buffet food left a lot to be desired. We stayed only one night out of the 7 we had booked and changed to a nicer resort first thing the next morning.

Id not recommend it to anyone
    Last edited by RmumR; 30-01-2014 at 22:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    We booked to stay there for our honeymoon.
    Room was bare basic and the buffet food left a lot to be desired. We stayed only one night out of the 7 we had booked and changed to a nicer resort first thing the next morning.

Id not recommend it to anyone
    The resort is only 3.5 stars. I wouldn't be expecting anything fancy. The room is a place to sleep, that's it!

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could also look at Daydream Island instead, way nicer than Long Island and not at all huge so easy to walk around and plenty for the kids to do. There is a kids club, day spa, water activities, outdoor cinema, there is also a huge marine lagoon where you can feed tropical fish and stingrays. It is a lot cheaper than Hamilton Island too. I would save a bit longer like you said and go for the nicer resort 😃
    I wouldn't recommend Long Island it is more of a backpacker/budget resort and was fairly run down the last time I visited. (I used to live on Hamilton Island). I think Hamilton is very expensive for what you get, but that is just my opinion.
    Good luck deciding 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    BigredV I thought kids ate free too but when I go to the booking page they charged for them :/. It may be because we were going to get a 'stay 3 nights save 30%' offer which was why accom was so cheap.

I did read around and saw some stuff on tripadvisor re the basic standard of the rooms, but I wasn't concerned. It is only 3.5 star and the 'affordable' whitsundays option after all. Honestly just going to the islands would be such an amazing experience in itself, as long as there's no bed bugs I'm not complaining about where we stay! :P but I can't justify spending more on food for the 3 days then the accommodation. The food costs as much as our return flights for crying out loud! I see now why people go overseas before they go to whitsundays lol $$$$$