+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Returning to work

]I know I'm going to get varied answers and that's fine. Let's make sure we respect each other :-)

I'm returning to work two days a week in a months time.
    DD will be almost one. I'm still breast feeding her.

I won't be able to express at work due to the type of work.

What do I do? I want to avoid getting mastitis.

Should I mix feed? Should I start doing that now so my supply adjusts?

Will she need formula at all?

Open to suggestions :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    What hours will you be working and when/how often (roughly) is she feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roughly 7.45-3.30

I think I'll be able to feed her morning, evening and maybe one when we get home if need be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    About 4 feeds during day, once overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back to work 2 days a week when DS was 13 months. We could never get him to take a bottle so he just had a breastfeed before daycare and after daycare (plus his normal night feeds) then as usual on the days I wasn't at work (usual for us being a feed every 3-4hrs).

While he was at daycare he drank water and they offered him cows milk (which he sometimes had, sometimes not).

He was fine. I was able to get through the day without needing to express although I did have leakage for the first few weeks. Not feeding or expressing on those days didnt affect my supply.

I hope you find something that works for you and your bubs :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

march2013  (29-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks that's good to hear. It's similar to what a friend said too :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    With that time frame and the amount of feeds, I don't think you'd need to introduce formula at all. I would just see how you go doing the three feeds on your work days. You could perhaps try and replace one day BF with a sippy cup of milk in the upcoming month (if she's tolerating cows milk on her cereal etc..) but I think you'll both be fine and will adjust without any trouble.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (29-01-2014),march2013  (29-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I returned to work part-time (2-3 days a week) with both children aged about 12 months and kept feeding without expressing.

At this stage your supply should be quite settled and should adjust without too many problems.

I didn't drop any feeds, I just demand fed as normal on home days and on work days they fed mornings and nights. I did feel quite full at first but my body soon adjusted with no dramas.

Both of my children were offered formula feeds at daycare but neither were interested. They drank water and ate normally and I just added extra yoghurt pouches and juicy fruits like watermelon to their daycare lunches.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

march2013  (29-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If your dd is almost one she should be able to have solids in place of a milk feed, such as a yoghurt. This shouldn't impact at this stage on your supply if you wish to continue feeding as normal when at home. My dd won't take a bottle and if I'm away during that time she will eat a lot more solids.
    Personally I wouldn't introduce formula, cows milk is fine after 6 months as long as it isn't a complete replacement of
    breast milk, and at 1 isn't nutritionally needed at all. But that's just me and my dd.

I couldn't imagine dd not breast feeding so frequently and was scared of returning to work but it was a dramatic drop off at just before 11 months, I still feed her 3 times a day but she doesn't ask for it or need it, she'll happily go without.

Good luck, I'm returning in 2 weeks it's very daunting I know the feeling

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

march2013  (29-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was a similar age when I went back. I worked three days a week. She was feeding about 4 times (morning, before both naps and then bed) plus overnight. I did expressed for two feeds (before naps) bit as she wasn't keen on a bottle and we used a sippy she wouldn't finish them. I then breastfed all my usual feeds on the days I didn't work. I found my supply sorted itself out. I had to hand express a little for comfort and I also made sure I wore breast pads at first.

I think you probably could keep going with the three feeds on your work day and the four on you non work days.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

march2013  (29-01-2014)