+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Daycare and illness

Hi, my 14 month old DS started daycare on 7 January this year. He goes on Thursdays and Fridays. Basically he has been sick with one thing after another since then. First he had a fever and a sore throat. Then diarrhoea, then a cough started. He's had that for a week and a half. Now another fever and a runny nose. I don't think he's had a virus free day since he started.

A couple of questions. First, is this normal? Second, how long does it last for? I miss my happy little man and I feel awful with guilt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes this was normal for us!!
    My little one was off sick every second week until about 2 months in and then he built up an immunity. He still gets colds every now and again but nothing like when he first started

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sadly yes it seems to be the norm when starting daycare. For the first year I reckon DS brought every germ home he could find but it did stop. Then we had DD and all the germs DS and us were used to she coped without even going to daycare.

In a long term positive DS has hardly been sick in two years of school touch wood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely normal. For our DD we "gave up" after 18mths of continual illness from daycare. It was impacting her emotionally, physically and developmentally and we felt it was unfair to keep her there. She swapped to family daycare and its been so much better with respect to illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dd is in there full time and she's not had many days off sick. Her "absences to date" for this financial year stands at 19, with at least 10 to 12 of those being holidays (I keep her home if I take annual leave). It's normal for them to get sick, but it lessens over time. My dd was probably worst in the first 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, definitely normal. Both my boys picked up all the bugs to start with. I have heard that it's the same for kids when they start school if they haven't been exposed to many things, seems like they build up their immune system one way or another.
    It is miserable to start with and difficult if you have to take time off work especially if you have just gone back but it does pass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First 6mths of daycare with DD1 she was sick a LOT.

DD2 obviously got her share of germs that her sister brought home & hasnt had a day off sick yet (been going for 18mths)

Guessing DS will get the germs from his sisters too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Totally normal. Once DS had been about a year(full time), illness rarely happened. He bought home everything he could and shared it around. He has barely been sick since and is 6yrs old.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds took nearly a year to stop catching everything from day care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh yes, first year every bug!! I think if they are older its not so bad, as their immune systems are still quite weak in the first few years. my son started at about 12 months, and was pretty much sick with one thing or another for a year or so, not so bad these days but still the odd runny nose etc.