+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sleep advice for 24m old and 4.5yr old

Currently I sit with my 4.5yr old Ds until he falls asleep, it takes under 10min, however I would prefer he learns to self settle because my 24m old is giving me trouble too and it's hard the nights Dh isn't home.
    Some advice how to leave him would be great.

With my 24m old, he has gone from falling asleep at night pretty good ( some nights he would be a little unsettled) to now cracking it the minute he is placed in the cot. I try in my arms, but he just stays awake. I can't pat because he refuses to lye down. I usually cosleep in the middle of the night.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there. With the older child have you tried slowly moving out of the room a bit more each night? Say by the end of the week you're just in the doorway then out completely.

With the younger boy id be showing some tough love which at this age fine. Make sure bedtime routine is appropriate and consistent every night. Put him down and walk away. Yes he will be upset but watch the clock and he will self settle eventually. By the third night should self settle easily. Make sure he's not overtired by having an early bedtime too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and IMO co sleeping in the middle of the night is giving mixed messages about what you expect of him when going to sleep. Either one or the other would be easier on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just helped our 3.5 year old DD to self settle using rewards. Previously we sat in her room, but we explained that she was a big girl now and that mummy and daddy had lots of work to do so couldn't sit with her any more. She got to have a treat (smarties) in the morning if she went to sleep herself. It worked so easily. We continued the treats for a month or so and now she goes to sleep happily herself every night.

Would this work for you eldest do you think?