+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler hitting when I come close to dad

My bub who is 19 months preferred dad since I came back to work and started spending less time together (hubby still works full time as before). So for example we change turns to put him to bed and every time it's my turn he cries and tries to run away to dad. If its dads turn - no dramas. If dad leaves for 5 mins he'd sit by the door and cry until he comes home or I manage to distract him eventually. In the last few days I noticed every time dad holds him and I come close he lashes out at me whether cos he thinks I'm taking him away from dad or just doesn't want me near! If I hug or kiss my husband he's hitting out as well. We tried having a kiss and a hug together but all the while he just keeps hitting me! It's so sad I don't know if I should ignore it and go on cheerful smiley etc or tell him off turn around and leave him with dad. I thought maybe he's lashing out cos he doesn't feel we spend enough time together so I try and play with him more but again he doesn't seem to be interested in playing with me, he runs straight after dad... I do feel I spend less time with him now cos my husband picks him up and drops off at daycare whereis before I did that, but then it was similar behaviour even then just not as frequent or extreme. I run to kiss him as soon as I get home and he just turns around and runs to dad...
    Last edited by Missbehaving; 29-01-2014 at 14:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps and its the same if he's hurt he'll run to dad too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone experienced this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't experienced it, but have read that it is one by-product of separation anxiety. I can imagine it would be hard not to take it personally!!
    But he will get over it in time. Sounds like you are doing all you can expect to. Just do your best to remain confident in your son's presence and remember not to take it personally...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written your post word for word. My almost 15 month old son does the same thing. He won't have a bar of me. Pretty much as soon as he weaned from bf, he stopped wanting me.

It makes me want to cry but I remind myself it's just a phase... Right?? :'(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both mine do this too. Ds has grown out of it but dd still does it all the time. It really hurts... Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    By the way I have my own theory that seems to make sense (to me at least). They are obviously really really comfortable and secure in our love and relationship. When we leave they know we'll come back. They confidently push us away because they know we won't ever leave or stop loving them. It all stems from feeling secure in our love for them... That's my theory anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's exactly what I read today RipperRita! I think I just have moms guilt for having to work late/full time...