+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had gel in the morning which resulted in regular light contractions but it didn't feel like labour, the middy broke my water at 10am and she was born 40 minutes later! I can't complain as it was so fast but having to sit on a monitor felt restricting as I really wanted to move around.

Good luck with whatever you decide, it's so rough mentally and physically at the end particularly in summer ( I remember it well!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gel seems to often make labours very fast (if the body is just about ready anyway). I had gel at around 9pm with ds at almost 42 weeks, went into labour that night and had him at 3.30am after 2 hrs 45 min labour. No problems

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a drip at 9am and labour started properly at 1 and my son was born at 8. When it started getting painful I had gas and air (which was just a distraction, didn't do anything for the pain) morphene which also made no difference to the pain, so then I had an epidural at 430pm which was great. So I was not in pain for too long. If I was to do it again I would skip the morphene and go straight to the epidural.

My sister in-law's baby died in the womb at 42 weeks so I've always been paranoid and was happy for the suggestion of an induction at 39 weeks (I was taking heart meds for an issue with him in the womb).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to read them now.

I also wanted to know what they do when they induce you?

I'm apparently 2cm dilated as of yesterday, what would their next step be?

Edit: do you think there is more chance of having epidural etc with induction? I managed without drugs (apart from a tiny bit of gas) with my DS so I really wanted to try again for this baby.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by SAgirl; 29-01-2014 at 12:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced. Gel in at 6.30 am. I wasn't even 1 cm before that. Sat around until 1 pm when my waters were broken. Bub was born by 2pm!!!! No drugs or problems. Bub was over 9 lbs as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to read them now.

I also wanted to know what they do when they induce you?

I'm apparently 2cm dilated as of yesterday, what would their next step be?

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app
    They will assess whether they well use gels or break you waters. I was 2-3cm, but bub was quite high and my cervix was at the back and not very thin so I got gels first. It's called a bishops score.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced in my 39th week of my last pregnancy (4th). I was already 4cms and had been for at least two weeks. I had also had three s&s' which failed to start anything.
    I couldn't have my waters broken as DD's head was to high and they couldn't risk cord prolapse, instead I had a low dose of gel inserted at about 7pm, this started light cramps the next morning. I was suppose to have a second dose of gel at about 10am I think because her head was still to high but they were too busy. So I continued cramping, walking lots and climbing the stairs. The cramps got worse but irregular and would slow if I sat/laid down but the main thing was DD's head finally dropped a bit and as soon as a room was free they took me in and broke my waters, no drip thankfully. I was on the wireless monitor so I could get into whatever position I wanted which was really good and DD was born 25 minutes after my waters were broken with no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    18 years ago my waters broke at 9 15pm, rang the hospital, went in and was 1 cm dialated. told to walk, walk and walk some more as well as sleep when i could. at 6am I was checked again and was 2 cms which wasn't good enough so they gave a drip to speed things up and I walked around even more dragging the drip with me.. had my boy at 5 45pm. Labour was fine and I had an epidural once things got to much for me.. i haven't had a labour that wasn't induced so i cant compare the difference. Baby #2 was a C section at 34 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with number 2. My body was ready, I had been going into labour and it would all fizzle out after a couple of hours, on and off for a week. Dd2 was in a slightly odd position, she was facing to the side, and her head wasn't hard against my cervix, it was like her head was tilted?

Anyway, I was 40+3 and had been going in for monitoring and extra scans very frequently for the last 3 weeks when the decision to induce was made. Low fluid, reduced movements, reducing fundal height, etc.

So on induction day I was 4 cm, and they broke my water. I was on constant fetal monitoring, which was hospital policy as well as genuine concern for her welfare. There were concerns about her position, whether she'd be distressed or get stuck. I tried to negotiate with hospital staff to not be on the monitors, but they wouldn't even consider it. I refused to lie in the bed and knelt or stood beside it instead.

I had no further interventions at all, 50 minute labour, 2 minutes pushing and she was in my arms. Safe and well.

Mine is a very positive induction story, and I know how lucky I am. I got a drug free induced birth, so don't think all inductions are terrible.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (29-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    If you're already 2cm that's a great sign! If they can they will probably start with breaking your waters and then give you some time to walk around to see if labour progresses or if you need the drip (this is my experience anyway - of course every doctor will do things differently).

Reading this thread, it seems that lots of us did it without epidurals, so there's every chance that you can do it again without one. But if you end up wanting one, that's fine as well.