+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Please tell me all about induction

The good and the bad.

I want to know all about it! I'm booked in for Friday as I'm 8 days over. I would love to avoid it but I've tried everything natural I can think of and it now looks as though that's the route I have to go

Can I refuse induction? What happens then?

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced for being over with my first. I was induced at 10 days over and my son was born the next day. My son seemed truly overdue - long nails, peeling skin etc - but my body just wasn't ready.

Have you tried acupuncture? I've heard great things about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    The good and the bad.

I want to know all about it! I'm booked in for Friday as I'm 8 days over. I would love to avoid it but I've tried everything natural I can think of and it now looks as though that's the route I have to go

Can I refuse induction? What happens then?

Absolutely.. You would just have extra monitoring - CTG's and ultrasounds until either baby decided to come or there was indication that it was time to get baby out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-01-2014),Busy-Bee  (29-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, any tips for bringin on labour naturally that I may not have thought of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    And how effective is extra acupuncture?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an induction two days after my waters burst. It wasn't an afwul experience, just unpleasant. I was hooked up to monitors and a drip and was stuck in a delivery room from 9am till 6pm. But it was a failed induction, bub wasn't moving, so I had an "emergency" caesarean the next morning.

See if you can find out how long you can safely go over your due date.

And as for inducing labour - things I've heard of that may or may not help - heaps of sex, walking, getting your feet massaged, raspberry tea? Though none of that worked for me!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (29-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I was induced with DS1 24 hours after I started bleeding. I was 38+3.

I was 2cm so no gel, my Ob broke my waters at 11.30. Contractions began not long after and we went for a big walk. By 3.30 I had progressed to 3cm and was put on the syntocinon drip. We were able to walk around the ward for an hour before I just wanted to be back in birth suite. At about 5 I wanted to be up on the bed and I remained on there kneeling over the head of the bed. I was on CFM at this stage and it wasn't a problem kneeling.

At 5.30 I had a shot of pethidine, not so much for the pain but because there wasn't a lot of time to relax between contractions. I was 4cm and we thought we had ages. At 7 I lost my s**t and asked for an epidural. No time- I started pushing not long after. DS1 was in my arms at 7.36, just over 8 hours after having my waters broken.

It was a good birth, I was still able to be as active as I chose. I've since had a drug and intervention free birth and honestly whilst they were both different, I don't prefer one over the other. Contractions were more painful with the induction but not horrible, whereas pushing was waaaay more painful with the spontaneous birth.

Good luck, I hope bub makes a move before Friday but if not best of luck for your induction.

Me, he and our two boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have had 3. All born vaginal births. The first two were great. The first one was with the gel. It was a easy labour. 2nd was good fair normal labour the drip was a bit annoying but i still manage to stay upright 90% of the time. The 3rd was horrid but that was because I was having my 6 th baby and I had a allergic reaction to the medicine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with my first. As debsh said, not awful but unpleasant.

With DS, I was 8 days over and they were planning to induce me on the Saturday morning. On the Wednesday I had the most violent stretch and sweep that I have ever experienced. It was the real deal, my DD got upset at the midwife for hurting her mummy! I was in labour by the morning and DS was born in the afternoon. I think I was close enough to "ready" that the S&W got it going for me.

Any chance you can get the middies to give you one? Unpleasant but more pleasant than induction!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was induced with gels with dd at 38+6. I had gels at 10am, waters broken at 430pm contx started at 530pm bub was born almost 2hrs later. It was just like I had gone into labour naturally. I didn't find it more painful. As I was in my back a lot while being monitored with the gels and after my waters were broken bub flipped postrriour during labour so the crowning was more painful, but that could have happened in natural labour anyway.

I had no choice but to be induced due to IDGD. If I didn't have the diabetes I would have refused induction and gotten monitoring until 42wks when I would have reassesed my options.