+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But does that give you all the nutrients you need? Every book I've read says don't restrict, don't diet yada yada

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't restrict, I ate what I wanted and lost 8kg by the end. I normally put on weight easy, it was like my body fixed itself while pregnant. Unfortunately the free pass is over now

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw the high risk team at my local public hospital. The registrars were fine but the head OB (sorry, don't know his title) repeatedly told me I should be trying not to gain weight and that it's ok to lose weight during pregnancy. He spoke a lot about GD and preeclampsia. I became a bit stressed about my weightgain and dreaded appointments. I ended up having polyhydramnios (excessive amniotic fluid) and a huge baby (4.68kg). So it was impossible not to gain weight!!! My blood pressure and GD tests were perfect throughout. Post-birth, after all the swelling had gone down, I was 6kgs less than my starting weight. I fantasised about telling off the OB - "SEE!" Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    But does that give you all the nutrients you need? Every book I've read says don't restrict, don't diet yada yada
    It's actually just a very healthy meal plan, it's 3 meals and 3 snacks (with gestational diabetes you have to have regular intake of carbs, but in smaller amounts). There is a list of free foods you can have at any time (mainly non starchy fruit and veggies like strawberries, cucumber, celery etc.).
    The only thing it limits is the food you're not supposed to have a lot of anyway, and even than small servings are ok from time to time
    I found it pretty easy to follow, and never felt hungry, I didn't have to count calories or anything either

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Mum2b87  (30-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    My OB advised I try not gain any weight during my pregnancy at the first consult and never mentioned it again. I did however get a fat comment from the paediatrician before my CS as he was passed off he didn't get a chance for a coffee as "big girls normally take more time to get the spinal block in"..,
    How did you feel? Do you believe that your feelings as a person were considered by your maternity caregivers when the weight gain issues were raised?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    I was advised to not gain any weight and could even lose some if I wanted to but then I developed cholestasis and it can cause weight loss and I lost 10kg in just over a week so was told to try not lose anymore
    How did you feel when the weight issue was raised by your maternity caregivers? Do you believe that your feelings as a person were considered when weight issues were mentioned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ertgirl View Post
    I believe I was flagged as high risk because of my weight. Also, the GP I was seeing at the time (this was the last time I went to him) told me that because of my weight I would have trouble finding an ob to take me on & that I should expect a miscarriage. I was booked in for an early c section because of my weight. I had grade 4 placenta previa & needed a c section. My ob booked me in at 36.6 weeks because he didn't want me going into labour & risking a rushed c section. I was 138 kgs when I conceived & 120kgs when I had DS. The anesthetist even said "you're not that big, the way your ob was talking I thought you'd be huge'. He had no problem with the epi & got it in first go. I really regret being pushed into an early birth. My DS was in NICU for 4 days with low blood sugar & breathing difficulties which I believe could have been avoided if we'd gone closer to term. It mucked up breast feeding completely for us. The lactation consultant at the hospital also told me not to expect my milk to come in till day 10-14 (it came in day 3) because of my weight. Needless to say I won't be going back to that Ob or that hospital. So yeah, lots of assumptions about higher BMI patients I believe.
    Do you believe that your feelings as a person were considered by your GP, OB and LC when issues of weight and weight gain were mentioned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ertgirl View Post
    Sorry, how did I feel...? Embarrassed, humiliated & disregarded. I had a post c section infection that was also blamed on my weight; my boss had the exact same infection & she weighs 45kgs.
    Overall how would you describe the support you received from maternity caregivers throughout your pregnancy and childbirth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    Yes it was, I had a few comments from ultrasound techs (nothing too major, just it's harder to get a good pic with larger women). I was also told the increased risks etc. and asked not to gain weight. I didn't I was a little lighter by the end.

It was uncomfortable to hear, but I was expecting it, I got similar comments during my previous pregnancy (although I got more the second time despite weighing the same amount).
    Overall how would you describe your maternity caregivers' support throughout your pregnancy and childbirth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    Angry.

My OB for my last pregnancy assumed that my weight would lead to complications - not 'you're at higher risk' but 'you will have this.' He was shocked when I didn't develop GD or any other problems. I'm not talking about a show of surprise, he double checked my results muttering 'I don't understand.'
    How did you feel when you realised that your weight was scrutinised by your OB? Do you believe that your feelings were considered as a person when weight issues were raised?