+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default TT my 2.5yr DS - is he ready? Help!!

I considered myself a pretty switched on person...until I started TT!! It's doing my head in.

So my nearly 2.5yr old DS1 displays all the signs. He knows all about wee's and poos, tells me after he's done it, is waking up a lot dryer etc

We've tried the potty and toilet step, but he only ever sits for 5secs and gets off saying 'finished'. I then catch him in the act and take him, but he refuses to continue or finish. I removed the nappies for a day completely and asked 3,749 times if he needed to go wee. Every time he said no, then would wet his pants a minute later!!! He gets upset if I ask him to go to the potty when I know he's doing a poo.

What am I doing wrong? Is he just not ready?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think that's par for the course on day 1 of no nappies. Are you doing rewards - that was a big motivator for DS to sit on toilet. We always read a book, and he gets a sticker if any of it goes in toilet. I'd keep going at least another couple of days.
    It took 3-4 days for my DS - with us putting him on the toilet every time he wet himself and stressing that poos and wees go in the toilet. The first day he had a lot of trouble "releasing" on the toilet and would often wee just after I'd put him on. That was 3 weeks ago. Now, although he is not having many accidents, and will wee on putting on the toilet, we still need to take him to the loo when he looks uncomfortable. Rarely will he initiate himself - maybe 1/6 times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is the same age and is sort of starting to TT. We're not pushing it or doing nappy-free days just yet, she just all of a sudden became obsessed with sitting on the loo! She doesn't actually do a wee or poo very often but when she does we give her heaps of praise and a stamp on her hand (which she thinks is the best thing in the world lol!).

A few days ago she even stopped playing, said 'I need toilet' and we quickly popped her on - she did a wee and a poo! She was so proud of herself. I think at this stage we're keen to let her take the lead so we only put her on the toilet when she asks for it, and we don't keep asking if she needs to. When she's actually using the toilet more frequently we'll try going nappy-free for a day.

Maybe your DS is just not quite there yet - give it a little longer and keep it really positive and light for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is nearly 3 and we are a long way off. I'm in no hurry. In his own time it will happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Yes we have a sticker chart and I've even told him we'll go to the shops and buy a big boy present when he is out of nappies!

I wasn't expecting him to be TT after 1 day, but I guess I thought he would have at least done 1-2 wee's on the potty. Maybe I was expecting too much. My main concern though is that he keeps saying 'no' when I ask if he meds to go, even though I know he does!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Thanks ladies. Yes we have a sticker chart and I've even told him we'll go to the shops and buy a big boy present when he is out of nappies!

I wasn't expecting him to be TT after 1 day, but I guess I thought he would have at least done 1-2 wee's on the potty. Maybe I was expecting too much. My main concern though is that he keeps saying 'no' when I ask if he meds to go, even though I know he does!
    We didnt get wees on the toilet with DS1 until day 2. Unless he is distressed, I'd try again today and see how he goes. He may just need a couple of days to realise the wet sensation isnt nice and to learn to go to the potty/toilet.

I'd stop trying if he is distressed or upset though. It really is best not to push it. We waited until dS2 asked to be taken to the toilet to do a wee, he was 3yrs 4 months

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think he is ready either - My DS was the same so I waited until Xmas - he was 3 in October and it was so much easier - after a week he was going on the toilet , no problems, no accidents and he also would wake up dry ( I put a pull up on at night ) so now nappy free day and night , he understands bladder control now whereas at 2.5 he didn't "get it" yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would keep going, but don't ask him if he needs to go, I would just put him on the toilet every 10 minutes and make a big song and dance every time he does one. If he does it somewhere else just say 'oh well next time we will get it in the toilet!' and mop up without a fuss (just keep the mop handy all day). Poo may take longer - my DD was out of nappies for 2 months before poo got in the toilet - very frustrating! Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (29-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I would keep going, but don't ask him if he needs to go, I would just put him on the toilet every 10 minutes and make a big song and dance every time he does one.
    I was going to suggest this. Don't ask him because, as you have found out, you'll get a 'no' in response even if he is busting for a pee. I'd do it every 20 minutes instead of 10 - but you know your son, you set the pace. Make it a habit, a routine that is not optional, something we all do, like brushing teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I would actually try to make it fun. Make up songs and dances, dont make a big fuss if he doesn't make it and wees on the floor, the more stress there is the harder it will be for all involved, and it can actually make kids really regress. You don't want to create a negative association with the toilet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app