+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Good school for gifted children - Brisbane

DD's current school is not a good fit for her and I'm on the hunt för a new school. Any recommendations in the Brisbane area? I'm prepared to move and I'm also prepared to go private. I would love to know which schools people with gifted or otherwise quirky children are happy with?

She's miserable where she is and I'm watching my previously confident, social and school loving child become sad and dread school. She's a perfect student, top of the accelerated class, "A" behavior levels, but hating school. I would love a smallish, caring school that's also good academically and just can't find it. She's in grade three this year.

Anyone love their school and happy to share?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best thing to do is find a good educational pysch in your area...and let them see her...they can then prob rec a good school for her that will fit her needs and personality.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    MY DD and YOUR DD need to be friends! Same age, also Brisbane area, same issues.

I've got many clients who are teachers, and a few of them have given me some advice to see an educational psych and have her assessed (currently awaiting a client to return with the contact details of a great one). The general consensus of the teachers is that I need to get her assessed and take that to her school and see if they can cater to her properly. If not, then there's some schools (like the Lakes College) that have programs for advanced students, not restricted to those enrolled at that particular school.

I have to save a bit for this edu. psych, but hopefully it'll work out well for us. A good teacher seems to be the main thing, rather than the school though... a good teacher does what they can, and she HAS had fabulous teachers before... last year's one was a dud though and spent all her time on the kids who were behind, ignoring the advanced ones. DD, like yours, has become a bit bored and disinterested thanks to not having any challenge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    MY DD and YOUR DD need to be friends! Same age, also Brisbane area, same issues.

I've got many clients who are teachers, and a few of them have given me some advice to see an educational psych and have her assessed (currently awaiting a client to return with the contact details of a great one). The general consensus of the teachers is that I need to get her assessed and take that to her school and see if they can cater to her properly. If not, then there's some schools (like the Lakes College) that have programs for advanced students, not restricted to those enrolled at that particular school.

I have to save a bit for this edu. psych, but hopefully it'll work out well for us. A good teacher seems to be the main thing, rather than the school though... a good teacher does what they can, and she HAS had fabulous teachers before... last year's one was a dud though and spent all her time on the kids who were behind, ignoring the advanced ones. DD, like yours, has become a bit bored and disinterested thanks to not having any challenge.
    I have wondered about the Lakes College because I've heard good things about them. We've had a couple of dud teachers too. Nice, but ineffective. I keep hearing about fabulous teachers at DD's school, and then they leave before she gets them. I've also just heard that Aspley State School is very good and doesn't seem to be catchment only! If you hear back about the good educational psych can you please PM me their details? I'm currently waiting on a callback from a psych practice about an appointment, but I've no idea if they're any good.

And thanks for the response, it's reassuring to hear from others dealing with the same issues.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (30-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter goes to Sacred Heart in Sandgate and although it's not known for academic success it is a beautiful small school, with excellent caring teaching and non teaching staff. My daughter is in an enrichment/gifted program there (it's ok, but not wonderful) but the rest of the school community etc more than makes up for it..... Lots of gifted/quirky kids (aspergers etc) in DDs grade, and all are incredibly well-supported.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    My daughter goes to Sacred Heart in Sandgate and although it's not known for academic success it is a beautiful small school, with excellent caring teaching and non teaching staff. My daughter is in an enrichment/gifted program there (it's ok, but not wonderful) but the rest of the school community etc more than makes up for it..... Lots of gifted/quirky kids (aspergers etc) in DDs grade, and all are incredibly well-supported.
    I've looked longingly at Sacred Heart before, it looks like such a lovely school. Is it difficult to get a place if you are not Catholic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are required to take a percentage of 'non or other religious' students to receive gov funding

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JD Mumma For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that Robertson SS on the Sth side has a very good G&T program - in fact they are known for their program. However it is very difficult to get into. You'd need to call them to find out. Very good at identifying G&T kids. All the teachers are on to it and my daughter was identified in prep as possibly needing exceleration. However in other ways this schools wasn't a good fit for her, they are pretty strict on uniform code etc (I thought they were a bit over the top) so I took her to a much smaller school that had a more relaxed feel (Sunnybank SS). No one has told me that daughter is G&T at this school but she does extension work in English and science.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to heated For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (03-03-2014)