+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    Did you have a classic c-section or a lower segment? Maybe that's the difference.
    Just a normal lower section. I have no idea why I couldn't have anything else really they said it was to do with making sure your bowels and everything was working so I had to tell them once I'd done a fart/poo and then I was allowed back on a full normal diet. I was about to chew my own arm off I was that starving and the first meal they bought in once I was supposed to be on full diet was clear fluids but they very quickly bought me a full meal once I kicked up a stink

With my 2nd I was allowed to eat normally the next day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    Just a normal lower section. I have no idea why I couldn't have anything else really they said it was to do with making sure your bowels and everything was working so I had to tell them once I'd done a fart/poo and then I was allowed back on a full normal diet. I was about to chew my own arm off I was that starving and the first meal they bought in once I was supposed to be on full diet was clear fluids but they very quickly bought me a full meal once I kicked up a stink

With my 2nd I was allowed to eat normally the next day
    Must have been an old fashioned surgeon. When we do appendix's or intestinal or other gastrointestinal procedures that happens afterwards (the clear fluids/passing wind etc) but I've never heard it for a gynie surgery.... How strange.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds I was able to eat as soon as I got back to my room, it was about 9:30pm so was only sandwiches and water, this was an emergency c-section.
    With dd I was booked in at 1:00pm, was on nil by mouth from 5am and wasn't allowed anything until at least 3 hours after I got back to my room and then I was only allowed small sips of water. When I questioned the midwife about it she said that some women scoff heaps of food and drink straight after c-section and then vomit it back up which can cause problems with the wound. But I was so thirsty while I was in recovery that I was nearly in tears and the nice nurse gave me a lemonade icy pole but said not to tell the midwife.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also on clear fluids only too for a couple of days until they were satisfied I had convincing "bowel sounds".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a midwife and our policy at our hospital (and throughout all my training) was clear fluids until u pass wind. As in csections bowels can often be pulled to the side, removed temporarily etc to get access. So they can go into a paralysed state afterwards. So you wait to make sure they are doing their job before loading them again.

Seeing as so many of you didn't have that it must be different hospital policies.

Me: 31, DH: 33
    DD1: 8, DD2: 6 😃
    #3 due 5th Sept 2014 ❤

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SunshineMunky For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (31-01-2014)