+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Links to cancer, fertility issues, early puberty in girls. Some of them mimic oestrogen. It doesn't stop at shampoos though. Even baby wipes contain an ingredient that disrupts hormones and can contribute to cancer and fertility problems especially in girls.

All of that is enough for me to say no way!!
    Fiery, whilst I 100% support your right (and anyone else's right) to chose the products you wish to use or not use on yourself and in your house (providing they are legal!!) and sincerely hope that they work for you, I reserve the right to question or challenge when such statements are made without providing reputable references.

Australia has very stringent controls and standards regarding chemical manufacturing. That doesn't mean I advocate cupboards full of potentially hazardous potions used liberally for any and all occasions - just that common sense and established scientific research should be applied.

This website dispels some common myths around chemical use in Australia. (FTR I'm not entirely comfortable with everything this website says but it provides links to the research it uses and if I had the time and inclination I would investigate further.)

Again (and I can't emphasise this enough), I am not trying to be antagonistic, I just believe that statements need to be supported with links to research.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (07-01-2015),Atropos  (08-01-2015),delirium  (07-01-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (07-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-01-2015),LaDiDah  (07-01-2015),Lauzy  (07-01-2015),Purple Lily  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just wanted to quickly reply as I saw 'sodium lauryl sulphate' mentioned. I've only been casually reading along so sorry if this was mentioned.

I'm HUGE on trying to avoid palm oil where I can and it's really hard as it often hides behind other names or because in Australia companies don't have to label they're using it, they can just call it 'vegetable oil' in things like foods. Anyways....

Sodium lauryl sulphate is a chemical containing palm oil so if you can avoid it you're doing the orangutans (and many other animals) a huge favor! It can be sustainably sourced but it's pretty rare, there are some sites that list what companies either do not use palm oil or source it sustainably.

I have a little list from Melbourne Zoo that I keep in my wallet. There's a shampoo brand in OZ that is actually fully palm oil free and is pretty cheap. I used to only find it a Woolworth's, I think it was called 'Australia organic care.' I'll quickly google to check on that! But it was pretty good.

Here's the list: ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1420626010.263349.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Fiery, whilst I 100% support your right (and anyone else's right) to chose the products you wish to use or not use on yourself and in your house (providing they are legal!!) and sincerely hope that they work for you, I reserve the right to question or challenge when such statements are made without providing reputable references.

Australia has very stringent controls and standards regarding chemical manufacturing. That doesn't mean I advocate cupboards full of potentially hazardous potions used liberally for any and all occasions - just that common sense and established scientific research should be applied.

This website dispels some common myths around chemical use in Australia. (FTR I'm not entirely comfortable with everything this website says but it provides links to the research it uses and if I had the time and inclination I would investigate further.)

Again (and I can't emphasise this enough), I am not trying to be antagonistic, I just believe that statements need to be supported with links to research.
    I read a great article a couple months ago trying to dispel the rumor going around that sunscreen was dangerous, I'll try and find it for you .