+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    I'm interested to try this now. I have been washing my hair with "Organic Care" poo twice a week for several years now (used to be every day!) but lately it has been looking kak and greasy and it's tied back every day so I thought I might as well give the no-poo a go.

BUT... I've now read this:

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/138...oyed-hair.html

....and would like to ask any no-pooers out there: what do you use to wash your hair and what ratio? I've read 1/2 & 1/2 water & BS in another blog, but the article linked above says that even 1/20 (twenty not two) is still too harsh.
    Do you think maybe the person who wrote the blog over washed their hair? They said they did it twice a week with bi-carb, everything i've read says that's too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried no poo with bicarb and Apple cider vinegar (ACV). I have natural oily, very curly ark brown hair. It didn't really work for me.

What I've found works great is buying handmade soap from a local woman. I wash every thing with it- body, face, hair. My hair is lovely and thick, my face is clear and zit free and I smell good. The soap isn't cheap- $4 a bar, but it lasts about 2-3 weeks and I'm supporting a working mum.

Every now and again (monthly) I get a build up of sebum/oil. A rinse with apple cider vinegar bring it good again.

Also because I have dark hair, I do a coffee mask with left over coffee grounds once a fortnight. Smells great, naturally darken my hair and is full of antioxidants which make my hair shiny. I also use the coffee grounds to scrub my face and body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must admit bicarb destroyed my hair but I was doing it all wrong. I wasn't allowing a large gap between washes and didn't use ACV as a conditioner.
    I have been no poo for 17 months now and I don't have a particular routine. Sometimes I use bentonite clay, or Castile soap, or Sukin shampoo/conditioner from the chemist which is classed as low poo.
    You can also use herbal teas or raw honey.
    I also tried a product called morrocco method but unfortunately due to hard water it just doesn't work for me .

I know that if I had tank water, I'd have much better results on one particular method so have to switch it up every time I wash my hair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Slightly off topic but do any of you have dandruff/scalp issues? I'm thinking mine are from conventional shampoos so I'm looking at alternatives. I read that some people get these problems from SLS which is in almost everything, including many dandruff shampoos. Annoying! I'm not worried about chemicals per se (after all, even water is a chemical) but I'm wondering if avoiding SLS will help? I've tried bicarb but find it really drying. What do you do to condition your hair? Mines so knotty and unmanageable without it!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Slightly off topic but do any of you have dandruff/scalp issues? I'm thinking mine are from conventional shampoos so I'm looking at alternatives. I read that some people get these problems from SLS which is in almost everything, including many dandruff shampoos. Annoying! I'm not worried about chemicals per se (after all, even water is a chemical) but I'm wondering if avoiding SLS will help? I've tried bicarb but find it really drying. What do you do to condition your hair? Mines so knotty and unmanageable without it!
    I have mild scalp issues most likely caused by having very thick hair that holds water and sweat on my scalp thus making it itchy. At the moment I'm using the Redkin shampoos (alternating between tea tree or coal tar) and when I let it dry naturally making sure I fluff it out with my fingers to air my scalp. (It doesn't help that I nearly ALWAYS have my hair tied up too.) My hair is very thick and coarse - any conditioner works fine for me, it's just to get the tingle tangles out. I only wash my hair once a week but it's dry so I can get away with it very easily.

I haven't done it for a while but I do remember hearing from a reasonably reputable source that if you have dandruff to use a ph balanced shampoo meaning it would have a ph of around 5 to 5.5 (ie, skin ph level). Maybe it would be worth testing the ph of your scalp and going from there?

Re chemicals, as the wife of a Chemist I can confirm that everything is a chemical including water, vinegar, honey and bicarb soda. If you ever see a product labelled "chemical free" put it back down - unless they are selling you a vacuum it contains chemicals.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (06-01-2015),Chippa  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    We tried using nothing on d's short hair. His dandruff started coming down his forehead and neck even deep in his ears.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Re chemicals, as the wife of a Chemist I can confirm that everything is a chemical including water, vinegar, honey and bicarb soda. If you ever see a product labelled "chemical free" put it back down - unless they are selling you a vacuum it contains chemicals.
    I thought the same thing I tried no 'poo a few years ago. Never ever again, it was foul lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chemicals as in nasty toxins!!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Chemicals as in nasty toxins!!
    Sorry I didn't mean for my post to sound overly blunt or sanctimonious - I just get frustrated by the "all chemicals are evil" rhetoric that I often see as well as the "natural = good for you/not harmful" or assuming that a chemical is poisonous or harmful because it has a multi-syllable name. (Not directed at you Fiery, just a general statement.) (Don't mind me, I'm just having a bit of a rant this evening.)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-01-2015),Fiery  (06-01-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    What in normal shampoo is toxic? Genuine question, I never realised it was that bad.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (06-01-2015)