+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    HM - do a google search on no poo. There are a few forums talking about hair types. You may need to wash your hair more often or use more bicarb. The cornflour should help absorb excess oil during transition.

Preggasaurus - going 12 days in is an awesome effort and you'd be so close to a turning point. If I had to condition my hair I use raw honey watered down (has to be raw though available at markets). Honey is a humectant, antimicrobial and antibacterial. It also has a pH of 5 which is neutral. If you do a google on honey no poo it may be a better option for you than the ACV.

Eta: A good boar bristle brush is a must have too. It distributes the oil evenly down the hair shaft so it can do its job and condition your hair.
    Last edited by Fiery; 28-01-2014 at 11:53.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiery For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (08-03-2014),HarvestMoon  (28-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped using shampoo and conditioner just over a year ago and couldn't be happier. I used bicarb/apple cider vinegar when I was feeling particularly feral or itchy, but that was only a handful of times. I started it when I shaved my head though so didn't have to deal with long oily hair. I'd say the first six months my hair was pretty ordinary but now after a year it's great. I don't use anything at all, the last time I used bicarb/ACV would've been at least 8 months ago? I just wet it daily in the shower and give my scalp a really good rub with my fingers. I was determined as DP hasn't used anything in his hair for 20 years and has lovely hair!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Fiery  (28-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    HM - do a google search on no poo. There are a few forums talking about hair types. You may need to wash your hair more often or use more bicarb. The cornflour should help absorb excess oil during transition.

Preggasaurus - going 12 days in is an awesome effort and you'd be so close to a turning point. If I had to condition my hair I use raw honey watered down (has to be raw though available at markets). Honey is a humectant, antimicrobial and antibacterial. It also has a pH of 5 which is neutral. If you do a google on honey no poo it may be a better option for you than the ACV.

Eta: A good boar bristle brush is a must have too. It distributes the oil evenly down the hair shaft so it can do its job and condition your hair.
    Thanks!

I'll look into the honey, I think there is a stall selling honey at the Saturday markets up here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, so at the moment, I HATE MY HAIR! I seriously nearly pulled out the scissors and chopped it all off today!

It stinks, it has that oily, scalpy smell, but it's really strong and overpowering. The ends are dry and brittle and the top half super oily. It's awful!

My hair is long, below my bra strap, is this why the ends are sooo dry? The natural oils haven't travelled down to the ends yet?
    Should I give in and wash it? Or am I about to turn the corner? If it's only another couple of days before it starts to balance, I'll try and hold out, but any longer and I'll crack! What do I do? Keep going or give up?

I'm tempted to go shower now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Ok, so at the moment, I HATE MY HAIR! I seriously nearly pulled out the scissors and chopped it all off today!

It stinks, it has that oily, scalpy smell, but it's really strong and overpowering. The ends are dry and brittle and the top half super oily. It's awful!

My hair is long, below my bra strap, is this why the ends are sooo dry? The natural oils haven't travelled down to the ends yet?
    Should I give in and wash it? Or am I about to turn the corner? If it's only another couple of days before it starts to balance, I'll try and hold out, but any longer and I'll crack! What do I do? Keep going or give up?

I'm tempted to go shower now!
    I can't tell you when it'll get better coz no one knows that answer. How much BS are you using and are you conditioning the ends? When I shampoo I only worry about the roots, when I condition I only worry about the ends.
    It's up to you whether to keep holding out or give in but at least you've given it a shot and knows if it works for you or not. I held out for 9 weeks before realising it wasn't improving and that something had to change.
    Do you use dry shampoo? I make up a mix of cornflour and cocoa as I'm a redhead and it works well to soak up the oil plus my hair smells like chocolate all day .
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. I have read about this before with great interest. I am shampooing my hair daily as it gets oily and itchy super quick.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Honey is a humectant, antimicrobial and antibacterial. It also has a pH of 5 which is neutral.
    A pH of 5 is certainly NOT neutral! It is acidic.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (06-01-2015),Lauzy  (04-02-2014),SeymourTheBear  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    he he I had to do a double take because I initially thought this thread was for No pooers (as in those that are constipated)...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Fiery  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    A pH of 5 is certainly NOT neutral! It is acidic.
    Ok I didn't explain it well enough.
    The pH of the scalp is between 4 and 7, and the pH of raw honey is about 5, so to the scalp it's neutral so it won't affect the natural pH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been no-pooing for 8 months. I use BC And ACV roughly once a fortnight now. I like how my hair is for the most part though I feel a little bit too oily around the scalp still. I keep meaning to get a boar bristle brush. Maybe that will help?

One draw back I've found is I can't use my GHD anymore. It just makes my hair look really feral greasy! Ewww.

It's only a minor con though. Best pro is my natural wave looks gorgeous and non frizzy every day

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Louy For This Useful Post:

Fiery  (05-02-2014)