+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked
    346
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    HM - do a google search on no poo. There are a few forums talking about hair types. You may need to wash your hair more often or use more bicarb. The cornflour should help absorb excess oil during transition.

    Preggasaurus - going 12 days in is an awesome effort and you'd be so close to a turning point. If I had to condition my hair I use raw honey watered down (has to be raw though available at markets). Honey is a humectant, antimicrobial and antibacterial. It also has a pH of 5 which is neutral. If you do a google on honey no poo it may be a better option for you than the ACV.

    Eta: A good boar bristle brush is a must have too. It distributes the oil evenly down the hair shaft so it can do its job and condition your hair.
    Last edited by Fiery; 28-01-2014 at 11:53.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiery For This Useful Post:

    callmedragon22  (08-03-2014),HarvestMoon  (28-01-2014)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,880
    Thanks
    1,521
    Thanked
    972
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stopped using shampoo and conditioner just over a year ago and couldn't be happier. I used bicarb/apple cider vinegar when I was feeling particularly feral or itchy, but that was only a handful of times. I started it when I shaved my head though so didn't have to deal with long oily hair. I'd say the first six months my hair was pretty ordinary but now after a year it's great. I don't use anything at all, the last time I used bicarb/ACV would've been at least 8 months ago? I just wet it daily in the shower and give my scalp a really good rub with my fingers. I was determined as DP hasn't used anything in his hair for 20 years and has lovely hair!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

    Fiery  (28-01-2014)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,978
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked
    804
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    HM - do a google search on no poo. There are a few forums talking about hair types. You may need to wash your hair more often or use more bicarb. The cornflour should help absorb excess oil during transition.

    Preggasaurus - going 12 days in is an awesome effort and you'd be so close to a turning point. If I had to condition my hair I use raw honey watered down (has to be raw though available at markets). Honey is a humectant, antimicrobial and antibacterial. It also has a pH of 5 which is neutral. If you do a google on honey no poo it may be a better option for you than the ACV.

    Eta: A good boar bristle brush is a must have too. It distributes the oil evenly down the hair shaft so it can do its job and condition your hair.
    Thanks!

    I'll look into the honey, I think there is a stall selling honey at the Saturday markets up here.

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,978
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked
    804
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok, so at the moment, I HATE MY HAIR! I seriously nearly pulled out the scissors and chopped it all off today!

    It stinks, it has that oily, scalpy smell, but it's really strong and overpowering. The ends are dry and brittle and the top half super oily. It's awful!

    My hair is long, below my bra strap, is this why the ends are sooo dry? The natural oils haven't travelled down to the ends yet?
    Should I give in and wash it? Or am I about to turn the corner? If it's only another couple of days before it starts to balance, I'll try and hold out, but any longer and I'll crack! What do I do? Keep going or give up?

    I'm tempted to go shower now!

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked
    346
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Ok, so at the moment, I HATE MY HAIR! I seriously nearly pulled out the scissors and chopped it all off today!

    It stinks, it has that oily, scalpy smell, but it's really strong and overpowering. The ends are dry and brittle and the top half super oily. It's awful!

    My hair is long, below my bra strap, is this why the ends are sooo dry? The natural oils haven't travelled down to the ends yet?
    Should I give in and wash it? Or am I about to turn the corner? If it's only another couple of days before it starts to balance, I'll try and hold out, but any longer and I'll crack! What do I do? Keep going or give up?

    I'm tempted to go shower now!
    I can't tell you when it'll get better coz no one knows that answer. How much BS are you using and are you conditioning the ends? When I shampoo I only worry about the roots, when I condition I only worry about the ends.
    It's up to you whether to keep holding out or give in but at least you've given it a shot and knows if it works for you or not. I held out for 9 weeks before realising it wasn't improving and that something had to change.
    Do you use dry shampoo? I make up a mix of cornflour and cocoa as I'm a redhead and it works well to soak up the oil plus my hair smells like chocolate all day .
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.


    Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,377
    Thanks
    1,504
    Thanked
    883
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. I have read about this before with great interest. I am shampooing my hair daily as it gets oily and itchy super quick.



    Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked
    335
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Honey is a humectant, antimicrobial and antibacterial. It also has a pH of 5 which is neutral.
    A pH of 5 is certainly NOT neutral! It is acidic.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (06-01-2015),Lauzy  (04-02-2014),SeymourTheBear  (05-02-2014)

  11. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    1,702
    Thanked
    2,424
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    he he I had to do a double take because I initially thought this thread was for No pooers (as in those that are constipated)...

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

    Fiery  (05-02-2014)

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked
    346
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    A pH of 5 is certainly NOT neutral! It is acidic.
    Ok I didn't explain it well enough.
    The pH of the scalp is between 4 and 7, and the pH of raw honey is about 5, so to the scalp it's neutral so it won't affect the natural pH.

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    77
    Reviews
    0
    I've been no-pooing for 8 months. I use BC And ACV roughly once a fortnight now. I like how my hair is for the most part though I feel a little bit too oily around the scalp still. I keep meaning to get a boar bristle brush. Maybe that will help?

    One draw back I've found is I can't use my GHD anymore. It just makes my hair look really feral greasy! Ewww.

    It's only a minor con though. Best pro is my natural wave looks gorgeous and non frizzy every day

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Louy For This Useful Post:

    Fiery  (05-02-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Dove shampoo
    By 2BlueBirds in forum Beauty
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 11:54
  2. No shampoo?
    By Mischa44 in forum Beauty
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 19-03-2013, 22:39
  3. Sukin shampoo
    By cookiedough in forum Beauty
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 20:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!