+ Reply to Thread

Default choosing childcare - tactics and setting days

Hi All,
    I'm 20 weeks pregnant, recently moved to Melbourne from the UK (got pregnant just as I started my new job - bad timing I know!) and starting to get my head around childcare arrangements.
    My main tactic has been to get my name on the council lists - I need to look at private options as well. The question I'm getting asked is 'what days do you need childcare on'. I don't know yet as my work hasn't decided if they will take me back (I don't have enough service to get parental leave), and if they will, what days I can negotiate.

I am starting to panic that I can't get anything, let alone a decent quality childcare centre that I like. I don't want to endanger my chances of getting my job back but I want to work 3/4 days a week if I can. What is the best tactic, put 5 days on the childcare application for all the wait lists and then change the days at a later date, or put down that I don't know yet which may harm my chances of getting a place?

Does anyone have experience of this? Can anyone reassure me of my chances of getting a place in childcare in Feb 2015?!
    Thanks in advance!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most places have a question asking if you're flexible so you could just select that?

Otherwise I would ask which days are their most popular and put your name down for those ones.

0-1 is the hardest age to get spots... You do have a shot at getting a spot for next year but I don't think it would be guaranteed. I would suggest looking at places near work as well as home.

Good luck!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would just put down for all days, then take whatever is available. Generally Monday and Friday are easiest to get, and Wednesday the hardest. As they get older it gets easier to pick and choose as the ratio's increase.