+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short pregnancy rant

Well i think i finally have an excuse to sit on my bum and do nothing. My pelvis is hurting like never before. Tried getting up after sitting down for 5 minutes and i pretty much collapse onto the ground because i failed to hold my own weight as the pain was unbearable. Its so so sooo much worse when i get up during the night and when i get up in the morning. I can just feel my bubba drop down into my pelvis after ive been laying down and it is very painful. I wish i didnt feel so useless! I want to be able to run around after ds but it just isnt happening! I think my body hates me right now lol!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fish oil. Suisse make good ones in capsule form. I take 3mg a day and all hip/pubic pain gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is probably a stupid question, FluffyKitty, but do you have Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP), previously known as SPD? I've got it at the moment - thought certainly not as bad as you do - and I'm booked in to see a physio this week. If it is PGP the following have helped me a lot:
    - walking cane
    - SI belt
    - sleeping with a foam mattress topper AND a folded doona underneath me.
    - sleeping with a tri-pillow or pregnancy pillow between my knees.

If you haven't been diagnosed with it I'd recommend talking to your GP, midwife or obstetrician. They may be able to help with the pain and, importantly, there are certain birthing positions you'd want to avoid if it's PGP.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilWombatQueen View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, FluffyKitty, but do you have Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP), previously known as SPD? I've got it at the moment - thought certainly not as bad as you do - and I'm booked in to see a physio this week. If it is PGP the following have helped me a lot:
    - walking cane
    - SI belt
    - sleeping with a foam mattress topper AND a folded doona underneath me.
    - sleeping with a tri-pillow or pregnancy pillow between my knees.

If you haven't been diagnosed with it I'd recommend talking to your GP, midwife or obstetrician. They may be able to help with the pain and, importantly, there are certain birthing positions you'd want to avoid if it's PGP.

I hope you feel better soon.
    I havent been diagnosed with it. I did mention the pain at an appointment i had weeks ago but my gp said its normal for ligaments to soften but its just got worse since then. I guess the only thing i can do is bring it up again and see what they say.

I also sleep with a body pillow under my stomach and in between my legs plus a few pillows under my back for comfort but if i have to turn over its pretty difficult as well as getting up. I cant use the muscles in my legs or tense my stomach at all as it will just be too painful so im lifting myself with my arms most of the time lol. The joys of pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really sounds like you have PGP. Look up Pelvic Girdle Pain and see if that describes what you are suffering from. It's important to get it treated so that it doesn't get worse and so that you recover from it quickly after the baby is born.

Here are some links where I found great information
    http://www.piaaustralia.com/index.html
    http://www.pelvicinstability.webcity...cy_Booklet.pdf

These sites recommend ice-packs and/or heat-packs for muscular and ligament pain. Just make sure you sit on them if you use them and don't put them anywhere near your belly. Make sure you don't overheat or cool yourself too much. I haven't tried this as a method of pain relief, but I thought I'd mention it because you sound like you are in a lot more pain than I am.

Naturally check with your doctor first and check any exercises or treatment that you want to follow with her or him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP said the same thing to me OP, that it was normal. It wasn't! I was in a lot of pain. After googling, I realised I had sciatica (PGP) and after a few visits to a Chiro I was fine again. I actually had a twisted pelvis so thankfully I sought treatment sooner rather than later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd recommend seeing a physio too. Some other things that help:
    - avoiding movements where your weight isn't evenly distributed across your legs eg. Avoid stairs, leaning more on one side when standing
    - small steps when walking
    - trying to use your big muscles to provide support eg. Try and contract your gluts when walking
    - a specific belt, though for work I find it too cumbersome so just use a normal belt really firmly
    - limiting exercise if that exacerbates it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Saw my gp yesterday. As i thought, it is just my ligaments softening. Was told to take panadol or hed give me a script for something stronger. He did give me the option of physio but when i thought about it, i realised ive been putting up with this pain for weeks so i might as well just suck it up and wait until my little one arrives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't suck it up, it will get worse and worse til birth and you risk permanent damage at birth if they put you in certain positions, to need to treat it preventatively as you cannot unstretch a damaged ligament, it will be with you for life. See an obstetric physiotherapist. I have been wearing SRC pregnancy shorts on recommendation from the Physio for SPD/PGP since week 30 and I regret not getting them sooner, so much relief and I can be normal again without pain meds at all. The belt was always in the way and uncomfortable, the shorts are soooo good!
    Don't let anyone tell you it's normal pregnancy pain and to take some pills and deal with it, treat it now with someone experienced in treating the condition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's having a negative impact on your life, as your first post certainly indicates, seeing a physio experienced with PGP (which is effectively the ligaments being loosened too much from relaxin) would help more than putting up with it. As Ponytail said, PGP has a tendency to get worse. Childbirth is painful enough without having PGP to deal with on top of it! I was in such pain due to the PGP when I had my first baby I didn't even feel the contractions. And echoing Ponytail, if you give birth in a 'bad' position you can risk permanent damage.

I saw a physio yesterday for my current PGP. She advised on pain management techniques, the type of support belt to wear, what movement to avoid and exercises to strengthen the area to treat the condition. Already I'm feeling an improvement. I strongly recommend seeing a physio who is experienced with PGP! (Don't just see any old physio as I was misdiagnosed with referred pain in my first pregnancy, resulting in a lot of unnecessary pain as I mentioned earlier).