+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A question about having a Epi

I am looking for mums who have have a epi as pain relief during labour?

With my first 3 babies I went completely drug free, but I have really considered one for this time around being my last baby. I don't believe I need one for the contractions its more so for once I am pushing and he is crowning- for me the pain was 10000% worse than the actual contractions and by body would just shut down- literally.

Does the epi also help with with the shocking burning sensation?How numb will I get? Were you able to feel contractions still and know when to push?

Thanks

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an epidural with my first labour and didn't feel a thing. No urge to push, nothing. It was 100% numb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had an Epi with my 1st. I didn't feel the contractions- I could feel my belly tightening but no pain. When it came time to push, i felt like I needed to poo, and indeed felt some pain as dd1 was crowning. It wasn't unbearable though- it hurt yes but not like it did without pain relief (my other 3 have all been pain relief free births).

Me + he = dd1 (July 07), dd2 (July 10), dd3 (August 13), dd4 (due may 14)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I could feel tightening in my belly and I could feel enough to know when the contractions were coming so I could push. I didn't feel crowning

♥ him + me = ds 17/9/13 ♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I haven't had an epi (so my apologies if I shouldn't be responding). However, with DS1 my Ob gave me a local anaesthetic not long after I started pushing - to help relax the muscles. I found that pushing was not painful, just incredibly intense, and although I felt him crowning I did not feel the ring of fire, or the two stitches that she put in after he was born.

With DS2 I had no drugs at all. I was fine until it was time to push him out, wow, that was painful! The ring of fire, just, wow.

So if an epi is not an option for whatever reason, perhaps you could ask about a local? You'll still feel everything, it just might not be quite as painful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epi because of my blood pressure but it didn't help with pain at all! I had a horrendus back labour and so much pain in my right hip. It was awful and I told my midwife that it wasn't working and she said it doesn't always work and you can get breakthrough pain. I ended up having a local anaesthetic down there and an episiotomy so I didn't feel any burning or ring of fire, I didn't even know she was out until the doctor put her on my chest LOL. I reckon if I didn't have the local I would've felt everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had epidurals with all 3 of my labours. Every time I had it turned down before I started pushing. I still felt the intense pressure and had control over my muscles, but I couldn't tell when to start pushing if it wasn't for the monitors showing my contractions starting and finishing and the coaching from my OB /middies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epi but still felt contractions and still felt crowning - I guess it just took the edge off a bit for me. I was pushing not long after it was in though (further along than they thought), so maybe it didn't have time to fully take effect?! I had a ton of stitches afterwards (episiotomy and third degree perineal tear) and didn't feel a thing at that point (though they did top up with a local).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the epi several hours before pushing (induced labour) with a couple of top-ups. When it came time to push, I could feel contractions as intense (but not painful) pressure, almost like a BIG poo, so I knew when to push. I ended up with a vacuum delivery, and while it wasn't painful as such, the sensations were uncomfortable. I ended up with an episiotomy and tearing (which I didn't notice happening), so was very glad of the epidural.