+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Pregnant after bowel intussusception

Wondering if anyone is in the same position as me and has any advice I might need to know.

I had an operation as a 4 month old baby due to bowel intussusception which has left me with a 30cm long scar on my right side above my belly button (it runs horizontally). The scar is quite tight and is attached to the muscle. There is fat around it but not underneath it. Is this going to cause me problems in my pregnancy?

Any words of wisdom would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No personal experience but my mum had her kidney removed when she was a baby. They didn't really expect her to survive so they didn't try too hard on the stitching it seems... Her scar goes down the middle of her torso from ribs to hips and it's not stretchy either. It's a bit of a mess tbh.. She had 2 babies and the only drama was she didn't have a nice round belly, the belly expands where the skin lets it no medical issues at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (25-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I almost didn't make it either. Great to hear your mum didn't have any problems. I'll ask my gp on Monday but I don't expect him to know much as all doctors I have seen havent seen a female (or male) with what I had and it is apparently far more likely with males. I'm hoping a funny looking bump is the only issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

ButterflyMa  (26-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have major scars on my abdomen. I was born premmie and I'm a twin. I had necrotising enterocolitis and almost died several times. I had a lot of bowel removed. I have 2 scars running right across my abdomen, one right through where my belly button is supposed to be and another about 2 cm above that.

The only real problems I've had regarding pregnancy is that its a bit hard for the Dr to tell where the fundal height is when its near the scar and like pp's mum I dint get a perfectly round belly.

I'm 24 weeks with my 4th bub though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thank you cluck! So reassuring. I hadn't even thought about it until today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should be fine ! My scars are MUCH worse than yours lol. I always get 'the look' whenever someone new examines me and I have to launch to what happened .... again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I get the look too haha. I think I'm just worried about the scar being so close and tight to the muscle. I'm sure everything will be fine after hearing your story though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Probably biggest problem would be if you needed a caesarean section, there may be adhesions (things stuck to things that shouldn't be) that makes the operation a bit more tricky. It's common in anyone with previous abdominal surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Hoping I don't need a c section. Where do they do the incision? On your public line? If that's the case then I think my scar is far enough up my belly I hope.