+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hurt my back - can't keep rocking my 7mo to sleep!

Help me mums and dads! I've been very happy to keep rocking my 7 1/2 months old DS to sleep until he seems ready to stop, however I hurt my back playing on the mat with him yesterday and it's just too painful!

I need ideas/strategies for other ways to get him to sleep. I have half-heartedly tried some self settling things in the past without much luck but I haven't been very consistent.

Ideally I'd like something 'no cry', but after the tears last night because all I could do was just lay with him and hope he'd fall back to sleep (any sort of patting was making him worse, he ended up more hysterical than i have ever seen him!) I'm open to other options.

I have him in a portacot as we will be moving a few times in the coming months, so anything that requires reaching in through cot bars won't be do-able either.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you have a rocking chair? That you could rock in instead of standing & rocking.

Or could you just sit in a comfy chair and pat off to sleep in your arms?

Its hard to do hands on settling in a travel cot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Do you have a rocking chair? That you could rock in instead of standing & rocking.

Or could you just sit in a comfy chair and pat off to sleep in your arms?

Its hard to do hands on settling in a travel cot
    I have a rocking chair and he has hated being rocked in that for about a month. I often get him to sleep walking around then sit in the chair as I'm getting tired and he springs awake as soon as he feels that motion!

If I sit down and hold him, lay him on my lap, pat him etc he just wriggles, arches, claws at me, pulls my hair or neck. I used to be able to do that when he was younger but he's such a wriggly worm now!

He's still at the bassinet level of the portacot which makes it a bit easier, but I'll need to drop him down soon as he's nearly crawling/sitting himself up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My boy is the opposite he snuggles in whilst im in the rocking chair but springs to life if i get up and try to rock him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    My boy is the opposite he snuggles in whilst im in the rocking chair but springs to life if i get up and try to rock him
    Oh no! They're all such little characters aren't they!

After another miserable fail at rocking him to drowsy then putting him down resulting in struggling-to-breathe crying after just 30 seconds followed by 20 minutes rocking to just calm him back down - looks like I'll need to hit the panadine, suck it up and keep rocking him until I can get to my chiro!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had to stop rocking DS1 yo sleep at around that age because my back couldn't take it. We had to lie with him while he basically screamed and rolled around until he fell asleep. It got better eventually but it did take a while for him to stop crying every sleep time But like your bub, any patting etc just made him crankier.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (25-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH used to use one of those blow-up exercise balls. That way he could use it to bounce while getting some support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you put him in his pram and push him back and forth?

My portacot I can kinda jiggle it a bit. (I'm not sure if it's bad for the cot or anything), like I can grab a side and give it a bit of a jiggle and the motion soothed dd1. I hope that makes sense?

Or do you have a fit ball you cal hold him and bounce a bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks yes he used to like being bounced to sleep on the fitball. Now he starts giggling though!!! He thinks it's bouncy fun!

The portacot bassinet insert can sort of be rocked too but he's hated that from the start.

I think I'll give the pram a go next. I know I used to walk DD around the house in it to get her to sleep (too hot to walk outside!).

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    will he feed to sleep?