+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My doula has said that I could get in at RHW birth centre if I speak to the right person and explain my situation. Has anyone else has a doula at RHW birth centre? I'll be there alone so guessing I should still go ahead with Michelle? It's hard to know because you get more support from midwives there but I don't want to be alone in the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AngieMagpie View Post
    My doula has said that I could get in at RHW birth centre if I speak to the right person and explain my situation. Has anyone else has a doula at RHW birth centre? I'll be there alone so guessing I should still go ahead with Michelle? It's hard to know because you get more support from midwives there but I don't want to be alone in the room.
    Yes I have. I would recommend it. M/wS are awesome but I went in at night and someone else in labour at the same time meant her time was shared between us. Suited me fine since I had a fab doula! Apparently it's rare enough to share m/wS time though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spoke with the birth centre and I got in! But now I'm wondering if I will go to hospital at all. I spoke with my doula about this and she has said that I really need a midwife which I understand. But I can't afford one. And now I kind of want it to be just me and my doula. My doula is really experienced and as soon as I spoke to her I knew that I wanted her with me when I give birth. She has been upfront and and told me that if I decide not to go to hospital that she will not help with delivering the baby or any medical help, and that everything is my responsibility.

I'm not 100% certain that I will stay at home. But definitely leaning that way. After the experience I've had with my obstetrician I really can't imagine feel comfortable with any doctors near me while I'm giving birth.

Does anyone have any options I've not explored?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AngieMagpie For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I understand your fears. After a traumatic experience 1st time around, i looked in to a birth centre (in Melbourne), and although some staff were lovely, others were not and at 20 weeks i decided there was no way that i could birth there.

I found a midwife who was happy for me to pay off the fee in installments. It was way worth every cent for the benefits to me and my baby birthing in a safe environment.

I am preparing for my 2nd homebirth and again money is completely tight but i am using the baby bonus to pay for my midwife.

Has your doula attended births at home without a midwife before? Is she comfortable with the idea?

There are a few difficulties with birthing without a registered midwife, but these can be worked around. A registered midwife provides paperwork to register the birth. A doula or other birth worker can not do this, however you can register the birth by providing stat decs from yourself and some others who have seen you during pregnancy and then meet the baby.

I would encourage you to contact homebirth community, either in real life or on-line and talk to other women who may have some ideas for you. There are facebook groups that may help you find local people. Birthing without a registered attendant is called a 'freebirth' so look up that term on fb too.

take care