+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    You might have had injections of another drug directly into the uterus?

The one that the previous poster was talking about is syntocinon mixed with normal saline and given to you through the drip over 4 hours. Exactly the same as when they use syntocinon in the drip to induce you but at a much stronger concentration.
    Yes it was through the drip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    C section as its more of a controlled environment/birth. No unexpected outcomes.
    I'm not quite sure why you think major abdominal surgery and slicing through a uterus is going to make you bleed less than a vaginal birth?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (27-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not quite sure why you think major abdominal surgery and slicing through a uterus is going to make you bleed less than a vaginal birth?
    This was my thought to. Im just so terrified of a uterine rupture creating an emergency situation as the outcome could b very dangerous for me and baby.

The whole thing is just making me terrified of this birth. I wouldn't accept blood with my first and wasnt even fazed by the impending birth. Think I know too much now and all that can go wrong. Was much more naive first time round.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    This was my thought to. Im just so terrified of a uterine rupture creating an emergency situation as the outcome could b very dangerous for me and baby.

The whole thing is just making me terrified of this birth. I wouldn't accept blood with my first and wasnt even fazed by the impending birth. Think I know too much now and all that can go wrong. Was much more naive first time round.

the risk of uterine rupture is much lower than the risk of a post partum haemorrhage.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (27-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    the risk of uterine rupture is much lower than the risk of a post partum haemorrhage.
    I realise this. A rupture just keeps playing on my mind now tho. Im probably being completely ridiculous I know.

I believe the risk of hemorrhage is higher with a section than a vaginal birth too is that correct?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might have had injections of another drug directly into the uterus?

The one that the previous poster was talking about is syntocinon mixed with normal saline and given to you through the drip over 4 hours. Exactly the same as when they use syntocinon in the drip to induce you but at a much stronger concentration.
    Something was given at the time of surgery and then the injections were into my thigh afterwards. Too many pain killers to keep up with what everything was

SoThisIsLove - another thing to note is that the definition of PPH for VB is >500ml, however for CS it is >1000ml. So if the stats show more CS result in PPH than VB, there are probably a lot more yet who lose between 500ml and 1000ml.

All that said, I lost 990ml plus some significant clots (TMI warning - golf ball size) in the days after and there was never any talk of transfusions. Perhaps talk to your doctors to see at what amount of loss they may deem a transfusion as necessary. Even then, they may have a range where they may choose iron injections before a transfusion.

I also think your stressing about rupture is 100% normal. I'd read all the stats in the lead up to my VBAC attempt, I knew how low the risk was - really almost the same as the risk in any VB - but it's still the thing everyone talks about so you just can't shake the worry.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (26-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just bumping this thread again as im getting close, now at just over 35 weeks pregnant.

Ive decided to go a VBAC and my middy is very supportive and theres no medical reason to make me a poor candidate but im starting to get nervous now. Ikeep reading that the chance of needing a transfusion with a VBAC is higher than with a c section....i hope ive made the right decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    May I ask why you don't want/can't have a transfusion?

I had never really given transfusions much of a thought, until I ended up in emergency after haemorrhaging 2.5 litres when I was 14 weeks pregnant. Over my pregnancy I ended up with 3 blood transfusions and an iron infusion. I'm not really sure what my options would have been without a transfusion, so just interested in your reasoning.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For religious reasons. I will accept many alternatives tho, cell salvage for one as uses my own blood in a continuous cycle (no storage required) as well as synthetic blood products. Just not whole blood products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Stop reading!! No, not really. It's good to be informed, but stop reading things that will freak you out. I have been at the birth of many successful VBACs and looked after women on the postnatal ward and I think I've done maybe one blood transfusion. Of those that have required a blood transfusion - none have been attributed solely to a VBAC. Please stop freaking out about it. While I can't guarantee everything will go 100% smooth, if you think positively and focus on all the things you can do to make the entire experience a positive one!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (14-04-2014),Stretched  (15-04-2014)