+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Something else to take into consideration is your iron levels and your haemaglobin level. Regardless of mode of delivery, if you lose a lot of blood, but your Hb was reasonable before birth, it's unlikely you would need a transfusion. If you're already anaemic, the chance of requiring a transfusion is higher if you have a large blood loss.

Given your choice to not receive blood/blood products there are certainly things that can be done to minimise the chance of a big bleed with a VBAC. Having an active third stage using either syntocinon/syntometrine/ergometrine will help your uterus contract down post delivery would probably be a recommendation the hospital would make. Risk factors for having a bleed post delivery include induction/augmentation with an oxytocin drip, a long labour where your uterus is working hard and gets tired and lazy after delivery.

While a VBAC has other risks involved such as uterine rupture etc, the risk is clearly so small otherwise the drs wouldn't have cleared you for a VBAC.

I think you need to think about what YOU want for your birth and then work with the doctors to provide acceptable alternatives to blood should the need arise.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (24-01-2014),LoveLivesHere  (25-01-2014),SoThisIsLove  (24-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hemoglobin levels are great apparently and iron is a bit low so they have me on iron tablets now to get that healthy before the birth.

Thanks so much for all that info, very helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Just wanted to add my own experience with syntocinon.

I was given a bag after Bub was born because I was at high risk of a major bleed due to nature of his birth (hyperstimuation 30 hr labour 6th birth etc). You would believe the difference between that birth and my previous birth. Normally i bleed heavy as in i change the sheets a few times that first few nights, and I double pad bleed for around 8 weeks. After the syntocinon my blood flow was like normal period and only for a week and 1/2. It was fantastic.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks
    Reviews
    VBAC.

Lower risk of a post partum haemorrhage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    C section as its more of a controlled environment/birth. No unexpected outcomes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    C section as its more of a controlled environment/birth. No unexpected outcomes.
    Sorry but not really true. Lots of unexpected complications and outcomes can arise from a c section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Read your consent form carefully. Blood transfusion is usually a standard inclusion on surgery consent forms not a separate form.

Be aware they may be hesitant to book an elective surgery without blood consent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The more I read online the more cobfused I am. So much conflicting info. Even from drs :/

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Just wanted to add my own experience with syntocinon.

I was given a bag after Bub was born because I was at high risk of a major bleed due to nature of his birth (hyperstimuation 30 hr labour 6th birth etc). You would believe the difference between that birth and my previous birth. Normally i bleed heavy as in i change the sheets a few times that first few nights, and I double pad bleed for around 8 weeks. After the syntocinon my blood flow was like normal period and only for a week and 1/2. It was fantastic.

I hope that helps some.
    Is this injections every 6 hours or so post birth? I had injections as my uterus was slow to clamp down and I lost 990ml in surgery. I had much heavier bleeding than my 1st CS which lasted 12 weeks (1st was 8). Might not have been the same drug though.

OP if the iron is making you constipated try one that is chelated. Much easier to absorb and the only thing that got my levels up. Ethical Nutrients do something ones are chelated and I think some other health store brands.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Is this injections every 6 hours or so post birth? I had injections as my uterus was slow to clamp down and I lost 990ml in surgery. I had much heavier bleeding than my 1st CS which lasted 12 weeks (1st was 8). Might not have been the same drug though.
    You might have had injections of another drug directly into the uterus?

The one that the previous poster was talking about is syntocinon mixed with normal saline and given to you through the drip over 4 hours. Exactly the same as when they use syntocinon in the drip to induce you but at a much stronger concentration.