+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default No blood transfusion - Vbac or c section safest option?

Genuine question. If you could not / would not accept a blood transfusion what would you opt for? A repeat c section where they could have all alternatives (cell salvage - collecting ur own lost blood during surgery and reinfusing it back into your body and all synthetic options) on hand and ready.... or try for a vbac where if u rupture / hemorrhage the situation is not as controlled?

No judgements pls, got a big decision to make! Am going to consult with a senior obstetrician of course after speaking with an anesthetist today. Just was interested in the general opinion / experiences / point of view

Thanks
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 24-01-2014 at 19:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well that's a tough one, honestly I would most likely go csection but that is knowing my own history and knowing the chance of needing a transfusion are high - if I didn't know my history I am really not sure so would probably take the advice of my obstetrician. Best of luck with it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (24-01-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It would depend on why the first c/s was done.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    c section was dds neck was deflexed, after 18 hrs of active labour i wasnt progressing (she wasnt stressed or anything) and was stuck at 7cm.

Found out at my last midwife appointment that i actually made it to 9cm by the time i had my section

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can they collect blood leading up to a c section and transfuse it back to you if it's needed? (I'm not sure if that's a possibility, but it doesn't hurt to ask). Someone asked me if the hospital had collected any of my blood leading up to my c section (they hadn't, but I had signed paper work allowing transfusion so maybe that's why). As it was it wasn't needed, so all was good

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    is it possible to have your own blood withdrawn before the birth just in case you need ?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-01-2014),SoThisIsLove  (24-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    is it possible to have your own blood withdrawn before the birth just in case you need ?
    I would do this. If that wasn't possible i go for a vbac.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would honestly look further into autologous donation held over the duration of your due date, although I'm not sure they would remove blood from a pregnant lady, your body is already working overtime.
    I'd also be asking a lot of questions about the intra-op filtration as it's use in Australia doesn't appear to be particularly wide like in the UK or USA.
    I don't envy your position at all and personally would try for the VBAC. Although few c/s lead to excessive transfusions in my experience anyway(I work transfusion among other areas in a hospital lab).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KyD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    No its not. Only during surgery as its kept in continuous circulation as its filtered and put back

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    c section was dds neck was deflexed, after 18 hrs of active labour i wasnt progressing (she wasnt stressed or anything) and was stuck at 7cm.

Found out at my last midwife appointment that i actually made it to 9cm by the time i had my section
    If the risk of uncontrollable bleeding during a CS is higher than the risk of needing a "normal" transfusion during a VBAC I would go with a VBAC..but I have a feeling it is going to be the other way around and that you would be better off with a c/s if you would not accept a "normal" (sorry I don't know the appropriate word) blood transfusion and would refuse to have one at all.

All this provided you could not have the option of having a supply of safe blood on stand-by during a VBAC.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-01-2014),SoThisIsLove  (24-01-2014)